Wintering - La Linea

Visit site
Running the marina quotes for this years wintering and it seems that La Linea is by far the cheapest for my boat this year. Even cheaper than Ragusa.

The question is, would anyone want to winter in La Linea? It's proximity to Gib seems to be a blessing and curse, and the town doesn't have the greatest reputation.

capnsensible

Visit site
I used tu use the marina a lot, really nice place and friendly staff. Lots of people now wintering there, try a PM to skipper Stu, he did that recently.

Yup, Gib and flights 20 minute walk. Lots to do in Gib, If you want to fly from Malaga, bus station 10 minutes.

Only one bar in the marina but well used by like minded people. Bit of a walk for victuals but you cant have it all!

Daysails around the bay, loadsa Dolphins and if you fancy a couple of days out, its a morning sail across to Ceuta (Spanish Enclave) or a bit further to Marina Smir in Morocco.

As you can see, I like it!

RobbieW

Visit site
ho hum, deletion is what you get when editing a post on a phone it seems. What I tried to say...

Wintered there in '11/'12 and would go back. As well as the community in the marina there's a number of ex pats living in town who mostly work across the border in Gib, still have friends there that we met 6 years ago. Went in for a visit on the way past last year and the town appears to have improved, certainly in the restaurants available. As the cap'n says, lots of opportunities for winter trips when the weather's good. Found Gib itself a bit oppressive so being the other side of the runway gave a good perspective :)

Also good connections to Malaga for alternate flights

Yngmar

Visit site
We've been there only for a few nights this May. Westerly swell enters the marina, at least the SE pontoons were quite bouncy at times. Good facilities, French chandlery and Volvo dealer in the boatyard, little café with high prices, not much else nearby. Many liveaboards.

Town is a bit so-so, with some dodgy characters hanging around the border and shopping streets. Wasn't impressed. Gibraltar is a real treat though.

Access to Gibraltar on foot is easy and no problems at the border, mostly waved through, once a peek into shopping bag. More chandleries in Gibraltar, all in walking distance (bit of a walk though - but there's buses from the border).

Wouldn't pick it for a wintering spot. Check the Algarve, or Cartagena, which we really liked. Ceuta was nice but is pricey for wintering, iI think. Almerimar is cheap, although we prefer being in a town. Got good offers from Ragusa, Licata (free bonus month with RYA membership), Cap d'Orlando. Heard Cagliari Marina del Sole is also very affordable, although gets mixed reviews. We'll probably choose Licata (yes, we know about the fouling).

Heckler

Visit site
Running the marina quotes for this years wintering and it seems that La Linea is by far the cheapest for my boat this year. Even cheaper than Ragusa.

The question is, would anyone want to winter in La Linea? It's proximity to Gib seems to be a blessing and curse, and the town doesn't have the greatest reputation.

Did two winters there, cracking place, made good friends there, safe as houses in the winter in the inside basin. No probs with the locals, felt safe. Love Gib, only reason for moving, Monarch went pop and only flights in to Gib from Manchester is Easyjet 3 times a week and until the slots are sold by the administrators they will keep the prices high. So moved back to Faro and Albufeira.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We've been there only for a few nights this May. Westerly swell enters the marina, at least the SE pontoons were quite bouncy at times. Good facilities, French chandlery and Volvo dealer in the boatyard, little café with high prices, not much else nearby. Many liveaboards.

Town is a bit so-so, with some dodgy characters hanging around the border and shopping streets. Wasn't impressed. Gibraltar is a real treat though.

Access to Gibraltar on foot is easy and no problems at the border, mostly waved through, once a peek into shopping bag. More chandleries in Gibraltar, all in walking distance (bit of a walk though - but there's buses from the border).

Wouldn't pick it for a wintering spot. Check the Algarve, or Cartagena, which we really liked. Ceuta was nice but is pricey for wintering, iI think. Almerimar is cheap, although we prefer being in a town. Got good offers from Ragusa, Licata (free bonus month with RYA membership), Cap d'Orlando. Heard Cagliari Marina del Sole is also very affordable, although gets mixed reviews. We'll probably choose Licata (yes, we know about the fouling).
Yngmar
I don't think you can go far wrong with Licata , it's a very safe Marina with a nice old Sicilian town and since that arrested and lock away the old owners and the management from 2013 when we where there , it can only be better .
As you say you know all about the F word , all I would say for anyone interest going there is , unless you plain a haul out before leaving the Marina , which isn't cheap by the way , I would dive under and put a bag around the prop and block any hull fitting which are not going to be use , like engine In take .
Cap d' Orland is very new , and there is a offer this year that if three boats book to gather with the same term contract the price will be three boats for the price of two .
I have had many emails from people who ask if I was willing to join there group to Make up the boats , there 11 boat we know who will be there this year .
for us as we only in a Marina from round three months there no befit ,
for many other I'm sure there would be , plus as I understand it's far from the town although the Marina do have bikes .

Ragusa on the other hand is a well run Marina cheaper then Licata , no F word to worry about and although some say there no town , I guess there only saying thats cos there not been there .
Town is a love 10 min walk along the beach , three super markets , last count two bakery's hardware shops butchers bars takeaway and so on , but not a old town like Licata although a bus ride away will take you to Ragusa city and the old town .

Cartagena , although we been there some years back but at that time it wasn't a liveaboard stop over , I be interested to give it a go , maybe within the next two years we head back for a change and give it a go .
The other Marina that's popped up over the last two years is Rochella on the east coast Italy last year there was quite a few there , so I told by people who was thinking of booking again this year , it's gone up .
Of course there Almerimar , we had our warmers winter there , almost shorts and T shirts right thought out although it was cheap on one hand on the other it could get very expense the power was 3€ a day you had to use there lead if you wanted it , if the cruiser happen to be someone who want power every day that another 500€ plus .i hope that Been change .
Although the MED is very big places there not that many liveabord marinas around ,
Although stu and I agree on a lot of things Gib isn't one , sorry stu . :)

Visit site
Well I didn't mind Gib. Had a good time there aboard one of Captainsensible's training boats back in Oct 16.

La Linea is cheap and offers finger pontoons which is nice, but I've not really seen the town myself.

One issue is that I probably want some extended time on the hard, say a couple of months. I did think about Bruce's yard in Portugal but it's a way away. I ruled out Portugal for wintering as I found Lefkas (Greece) horrendous, and was told by some that if I didn't like that, I'm not going to enjoy the likes of Portimao, Lagos etc.. during the winter.

I spend a few months in Cartagena when I first got the boat. Nice marina with friendly staff and a fun town, though it is very isolated from the rest of Spain and the transport links are poor. The bigger problem is that there isn't a yard to haul out longer term there.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Well I didn't mind Gib. Had a good time there aboard one of Captainsensible's training boats back in Oct 16.

La Linea is cheap and offers finger pontoons which is nice, but I've not really seen the town myself.

One issue is that I probably want some extended time on the hard, say a couple of months. I did think about Bruce's yard in Portugal but it's a way away. I ruled out Portugal for wintering as I found Lefkas (Greece) horrendous, and was told by some that if I didn't like that, I'm not going to enjoy the likes of Portimao, Lagos etc.. during the winter.

I spend a few months in Cartagena when I first got the boat. Nice marina with friendly staff and a fun town, though it is very isolated from the rest of Spain and the transport links are poor. The bigger problem is that there isn't a yard to haul out longer term there.

What are you looking for ? Do you want a community or just a yard . Where are you thinking about , maybe I or others can't help .
I can see why you didn't like Lefkas , it wouldn't be our first chose again , mainly cost it was so wet.
And a bit clickie if you don't fit in , lucky for us we seen to fit in easy.
there same very nice liveaboard there the last two years And a few more going there this year .

Visit site
What are you looking for ? Do you want a community or just a yard . Where are you thinking about , maybe I or others can't help .
I can see why you didn't like Lefkas , it wouldn't be our first chose again , mainly cost it was so wet.
And a bit clickie if you don't fit in , lucky for us we seen to fit in easy.
there same very nice liveaboard there the last two years And a few more going there this year .

I’m looking for a marina but will also need time in a yard. I don’t care about an expat community nor anout UK flights but so need to be able to revieve deliveries in good time. A busy palce with plenty of young people and a town or city that exists in its own right without relying on the maritime industry.

Better it it doesn’t pee it down all the time, and i hate strong wind. Lefkas was horrendous for both.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
That's a tall order , :)
We had several winters in different places in Greece and it alway been wet after Dec .
Plus only once have I manage to get delivery to arrive without problem , they normally get to Athens and that's where the problem start . So that puts Greece out .
And if you don't like expat don't think about Crete anyway that's full now I heard .
The only place I can think of that almost fit your bill is Licata in Sicily , we mostly alway got stuff without any problem our new sails arrive one day late when we was there , the weather is as good as you get in the Med with five winter around that part of the Med two in Malta three in Sicily (Licata once Ragusa twice) it been mostly dry and the blows where less then any where else both Ragusa and Licata are well protected, I would had suggested Ragusa but you looking for city or town which Licata has , I can't guarantee there going to be lot of young people but there be a good mix from all countries.
There three yards just outside the Marina one let you work and I think stay on your boat .
Best I can do .
If your looking for clubs you be disappointed in Licata but it has plenty of bars some with quiet music . It's an Sicilian town .
agree with what you was told in #8 that if you didn't like Lefkas you won't like Portimao, Lagos . There are just bigger version of Lefkas . especially Lagos except for the weather .

Edit
Just remember you wanted a long term haul out , I would find out the yard price first if your thinking of Licata , we normally go to Tunisia for haul out when we in that part of the woods but as far as night life goes and getting parts that wouldn't suite you , although you could spend most of winter in Sicily get all you bits and shoot over to Tunisia to do your work where it's very cheap .
Good luck C hope you have a better winter then last .

Last edited:

nauticalnomad

Visit site
La Linea is a car park with a boat park attached to it..
The place in my opinion is not so much a marina.
The staff try to be helpful but are not.
There was an incident a couple of months back where a guy was in the office paying his mooring fees with his daughter who could speak and understand Spanish.. The guy commented to the staff as he was paying his bill and leaving the marina due to the lack of amenities .. The woman behind the counter comments in Spanish to the marinaro that the stupid fat English man is complaining about the marina.. Next minute the young daughter says "Dad, The woman just said................." Well the staff member handed the Dad his receipt and apologised and they left.
They supposedly have 5 anchors awards but when you check the award criteria it must not be hard to achieve because once again there is nothing here.. Except a 10 minute walk to Gibraltar. You cant access your friends boat on another pontoon and it takes ages to get hold of the security on the intercom to open the gate and then they are questioning why you want to access the pontoon. The liveaboards tried to start a communal BBQ each week but after written permission from the director.. Each saturday was met with sorry the Tony isnt here today you have no permission. One evening the security was moving them on with his hand ready to pull out his baton.. This is towards the 20 odd berth holders who pay his wages. The marinaros have zero training in boats. There has been instances where lines have been loosened by the staff to prevent boats being too close to the pontoons in turn now slamming into the finger berth..
Then there is the yard which is charged on extra on top of your berthing and they are renowned for their incompetence and yeah sure it might look full from the outside.. But most of those boats cant move because they have been lifted by the crane on their shaft and are now mid argument as to whos fault it is that these boats are now damaged.. The only cafe thats on sight which they call a bar.. Well check their trip advisor comments. Its quite funny. They move the non spanish on and steal your table or chairs if you stand up so as to seat the locals if they turn up for a drink. You are in no way welcome. You could of course leave your money and go back to your boat so everyone would be happy.
Apart from all the above its next to Gib and the flights are ok if they suit, Its a car park with a boat parking area attached to it ran by people that hate boats and as long as you dont let the marinaros touch your boat it should be fine..

capnsensible

Visit site
There was an incident a couple of months back where a guy was in the office paying his mooring fees with his daughter who could speak and understand Spanish.. The guy commented to the staff as he was paying his bill and leaving the marina due to the lack of amenities .. The woman behind the counter comments in Spanish to the marinaro that the stupid fat English man is complaining about the marina.. Next minute the young daughter says "Dad, The woman just said................." Well the staff member handed the Dad his receipt and apologised and they left.
They supposedly have 5 anchors awards but when you check the award criteria it must not be hard to achieve because once again there is nothing here.. Except a 10 minute walk to Gibraltar. You cant access your friends boat on another pontoon and it takes ages to get hold of the security on the intercom to open the gate and then they are questioning why you want to access the pontoon. The liveaboards tried to start a communal BBQ each week but after written permission from the director.. Each saturday was met with sorry the Tony isnt here today you have no permission. One evening the security was moving them on with his hand ready to pull out his baton.. This is towards the 20 odd berth holders who pay his wages. The marinaros have zero training in boats. There has been instances where lines have been loosened by the staff to prevent boats being too close to the pontoons in turn now slamming into the finger berth..
Then there is the yard which is charged on extra on top of your berthing and they are renowned for their incompetence and yeah sure it might look full from the outside.. But most of those boats cant move because they have been lifted by the crane on their shaft and are now mid argument as to whos fault it is that these boats are now damaged.. The only cafe thats on sight which they call a bar.. Well check their trip advisor comments. Its quite funny. They move the non spanish on and steal your table or chairs if you stand up so as to seat the locals if they turn up for a drink. You are in no way welcome. You could of course leave your money and go back to your boat so everyone would be happy.
Apart from all the above its next to Gib and the flights are ok if they suit, Its a car park with a boat parking area attached to it ran by people that hate boats and as long as you dont let the marinaros touch your boat it should be fine..

Didn't like it then?

Visit site

That's the stuff I wanted to hear. A little more scathing than my Lefkas review on my blog.

Possibly back to Cartagena it is then. How feasible (weather-wise) is it to head down to Almerimar in early March for a haul out?

capnsensible

Visit site
That's the stuff I wanted to hear. A little more scathing than my Lefkas review on my blog.

Possibly back to Cartagena it is then. How feasible (weather-wise) is it to head down to Almerimar in early March for a haul out?

Be nice to hear from the bar staff (that I know quite well) how they feel about grumpy old liveaboards taking the best tables and spending hours on the internet and having one cup of coffee all day.....

capnsensible

Visit site
Oh, the lift out in Algecieras is brill. Isla Verde. The manager Miguel speaks fluent English. Its in the duty free port zone so no tax on the bill. (IVA). Taxi ride into town they will pick you up at the yard gate. Good truck driver cafe nearby, very cheap. Showers on site.

:encouragement:

nauticalnomad

Visit site
Be nice to hear from the bar staff (that I know quite well) how they feel about grumpy old liveaboards taking the best tables and spending hours on the internet and having one cup of coffee all day.....

The grumpy old liveaboards are spending alot of money there nightly.. And the bar doesnt provide internet to the customers.. Its only for the staff who stand in the kitchen smoking and watching youtube..

Heckler

Visit site

I will say again, had a good time there, no probs, would still be there if Monarch from Manchester or replacements were up and running. The wifi is now free throughout the marina, the restaurant did play tricks with switching off if they wanted the seats, stupid sometimes BUT ok if you took them for what they are! The inside berths, we were on 7, were as safe as houses. The rest of the stuff about the marineros etc, it didnt impact on us so why let it bother you, its Spain, they are different!