Wintering in Lefkada

Sooty Dog

Visit site
I am looking to over winter in Lefkas for the first time. Is there a good community spirit? What's the weather like?
What's safety and security like? Can I work on the boat and engage external contractors (anti-foul)? And any other information that might be useful please.

Many Thanks.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi
Weather , ok up to around Dec then expect rain , rain and more rain .:)
You can work on your boat on the water and upto three years ago , also while it on land as far as I know you still can , I think there limit hard standing , or there was .
Can answer about outside contractors.
Safety and Security , when we was there two winters ago , we did have quite a bad storm and one or two got minor damage , but normally it's fine and security as good as most places , did hear of anything going missing .
There a few from here that keep there boats there each winter .
Clean marina , nice liveaboard community

Last edited:

Pasarell

Visit site
I can only speak for 2 winters there, but that's twice the number for Mike above and probably less than everyone else who will answer. It was certainly wet last winter but everyone said it was the worst they could remember. Previous winter was a lot drier. Not too cold. Like most people I leave an oil filled radiator on most of the time and just ran the Eber 5 or 6 times to boost it. Good community of expats around many of whom use Porto as the focal point. Plenty of restaurants and bars open in the town all the winter. Lots of activities and events organised mainly by the women. Security is exceptional and I've not heard of any problems in this area. You can work on your own boat without problem but they don't like you staying aboard while on the hard. Not sure about outside contractors as I've not lifted out in the marina. All the chandlers are open so no shortage of access to bits. Downside is the local airport is closed from November so to get anywhere you need to travel via Athens but the bus service to get there is pretty good.
Maybe see you there!

Sooty Dog

Visit site
Having recently retired and fairly new to this game, if I have to go home over Christmas for a few weeks will the boat be safe if the weather gets bad. Do I need to think about employing someone to look after it if the worst happens or should I just be a bit more relaxed about owning a yacht that was paid for from my pension lump sum.
Getting more nervous as I type :(

Visit site
Having recently retired and fairly new to this game, if I have to go home over Christmas for a few weeks will the boat be safe if the weather gets bad. Do I need to think about employing someone to look after it if the worst happens or should I just be a bit more relaxed about owning a yacht that was paid for from my pension lump sum.

Boat will be very safe, just add an extra line or two. No real need to employ someone just ask a fellow cruiser to keep an eye out. If you can get at the end of F pontoon close to the office you'll be well protected from southerly winds

macd

Visit site

Levkas marina is fairly shaltered and safe, although the pontoon staff aren't the most proactive in checking lines, etc. Due to the topography, strong winds there are invariably from S or N, meaning boats present either their bows or transom to them. The main issue I've experienced is that if there happen to be no boats moored opposite you, over the months you'll tend slowly to drag the ground tackle N or S, depending which way you're parked. Obviously you won't want that to happen while you're away, so you might seek another berth.

If there are boats opposite, obviously they hold the underwater gear in place.

sailaboutvic

Visit site

Stop worrying it be fine While we was there we had one that blow out his furling , owner at fault not putting it away safely and another stern damage again owner left it too close and by the time others sew the problem and sorted the rope the damage was done .
The marina since sun sail moved in is pretty full so what Mac refir too is unlikely although as he said you could ask to move . Most liveaboard will look after your boat for a few beers .

Sooty Dog

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I feel a lot more comfortable. Just recieved confirmation of our booking and looking forward to Lefkas and maybe meeting up with some forumites. Any further information still greatfully accepted.

Pasarell

Visit site
That's precisely what they told us in 2012. Perhaps Porto bar accounts for the fallible memory?

Unlikely, but then much of what happens in Porto is a bit of a blur later.....
No need to employ anyone (unless you want to give me lots of money). We all keep an eye on neighbours boats when they're away.

AndrewB

Visit site
Main drawback for me was that with very limited space they allow only a few days ashore through the winter - OK if all you plan is a quick re-antifoul, and there is decent weather when you come out. Otherwise it looks an ideal, safe place with reasonable security and lots of services.

Double check: some insurers now require that the the yacht is inspected periodically if you leave it afloat in a foreign marina for more than a month. There are plenty of guardianage companies in Levkas which I'm sure would do that for you for a modest fee.

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com
Well, we spent the 2018/2019 winter here, you can find out how it was for us in the blog post Leaving Lefkada. I'll give you a hint, it was very very wet and far colder than we imagined. Plenty of pictures and words to give you a good overview. Enjoy and please share if you find it useful.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Well, we spent the 2018/2019 winter here, you can find out how it was for us in the blog post Leaving Lefkada. I'll give you a hint, it was very very wet and far colder than we imagined. Plenty of pictures and words to give you a good overview. Enjoy and please share if you find it useful.

I reported this a few time on here and other sailing forum and it's amazing how many people we met that said they read the reports but still wintered in Lefkas then moaned about the place ,
Other then Crete and that can be a bit of a hit of miss ,
Greece for a full time liveaboard is wet and cold ,
We had three winters in different marinas in Greece come Dec it all changes for the worst .
If your a full time liveaboard and looking for a mild winter , try Sicily , Malta, sunny coast of Spain costa De Sole if you want to stay in Europe otherwise Tunisia or Cyprus .

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
I reported this a few time on here and other sailing forum and it's amazing how many people we met that said they read the reports but still wintered in Lefkas then moaned about the place ,
We had three winters in different marinas in Greece come Dec it all changes for the worst .
If your a full time liveaboard and looking for a mild winter , try Sicily , Malta, sunny coast of Spain costa De Sole if you want to stay in Europe otherwise Tunisia or Cyprus .

Plus The Algarve and I thought Cyprus is in Europe❓

Last edited:

luckybeanz

www.luckybeanz.com

Thanks, we're considering our options for this winter. Any comments on here is best to get work done on the boat?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks, we're considering our options for this winter. Any comments on here is best to get work done on the boat?
It may help a bit if you say what type of work you looking to do , and if you plainning to do it or get others to do the work .

There are some marinas/ yards now that won't let you work on your own boat out side the boats , so it's well worth to find out what the rule is before you book a berth .