Winter mooring

keithgdg

Visit site
We are heading towards Spain for the winter for many complicated reasons and are looking for anywhere south of the French, Spanish border. Does anyone have any recommendations. We are already emailing Torrevieja to ask them. We have a dog so somewhere to walk said animal would be good.?
Thanks.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Have a look at Badalona, just north of Barcelona. Reasonable rates, shops within walking distance, good public transport links to Barcelona. No idea about any sort of community though.
Further south, Sant Carles de la Rapita is an MDL run marina between Tarragona and Valencia. You can sometimes pick up winter berths of the berth brokerage sites for not a lot. It’s got a few live aboards there through the winters. Not brilliant links to the outside world but reasonable. You used to be able to get really good month long hire car rates which would solve the transport problems.

keithgdg

Visit site
Have a look at Badalona, just north of Barcelona. Reasonable rates, shops within walking distance, good public transport links to Barcelona. No idea about any sort of community though.
Further south, Sant Carles de la Rapita is an MDL run marina between Tarragona and Valencia. You can sometimes pick up winter berths of the berth brokerage sites for not a lot. It’s got a few live aboards there through the winters. Not brilliant links to the outside world but reasonable. You used to be able to get really good month long hire car rates which would solve the transport problems.

Thanks Duncan. We have heard of Bardalona but weren't sure, however, you have raised my expectations, so thanks.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Last winter we visited several marinas by road. Guardamar looked low cost and reasonable shelter. Burriana seemed to be an excellent place, clearly berths available and probably not too expensive. Santa Pola looks very good but the quote we had from them was not cheap by Greek standards but probably better than UK. All not far from airports back to UK.

Yngmar

Visit site
We only went as far up as Denia (coming from Gibraltar), but in that area our definite favorite would be Cartagena. Popular liveaboard wintering spot, friendly marina (Yacht Port Cartagena), a great town with lots to see and do, easy to get stuff and the harbour is at the center of it.

[3889]

Visit site
We only went as far up as Denia (coming from Gibraltar), but in that area our definite favorite would be Cartagena. Popular liveaboard wintering spot, friendly marina (Yacht Port Cartagena), a great town with lots to see and do, easy to get stuff and the harbour is at the center of it.

Friends overwintered in Cartagena 17/18 and spoke highly of it. Only issue was ban on staying on boat on the hard.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Friends overwintered in Cartagena 17/18 and spoke highly of it. Only issue was ban on staying on boat on the hard.

This is becoming a problem in most countries, in Italy and Sicily its very rarely they will let you stay on board on the hard , Greece and Turkey or in North Africa are the only places I know now where it common to let you live on board while on the hard .
Also more and more yards are stopping any out side work by their owners .

Yngmar

Visit site
This is becoming a problem in most countries, in Italy and Sicily its very rarely they will let you stay on board on the hard , Greece and Turkey or in North Africa are the only places I know now where it common to let you live on board while on the hard .
Also more and more yards are stopping any out side work by their owners .

No problem with either in Portugal (Albufeira, although I know Portimao doesn't mind either).

In UK living on the hard was not allowed, but I noticed several doing it sneakily and nobody really enforced it.

In both cases, DIY was allowed, but if you brought in any professionals, they (and thus you) had to pay a fee to the yard. Which I find ridiculous, but since I do everything myself, it wasn't an issue.

Always important to ask about these things before booking though. Not allowing DIY means "ok thanks bye" from me. And living on the hard is... hard enough without having to sneak around.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
No problem with either in Portugal (Albufeira, although I know Portimao doesn't mind either).

In UK living on the hard was not allowed, but I noticed several doing it sneakily and nobody really enforced it.

In both cases, DIY was allowed, but if you brought in any professionals, they (and thus you) had to pay a fee to the yard. Which I find ridiculous, but since I do everything myself, it wasn't an issue.

Always important to ask about these things before booking though. Not allowing DIY means "ok thanks bye" from me. And living on the hard is... hard enough without having to sneak around.

Agree Portugal is still very relax places like Bruce yard .
almarimar was one place where they reverted back .
once a very popular place for haul out living and working on your boat , then they ruled not to let anyone do so , it when from being a marina that you needed to book up two years in advance for a place to almost dieing out , only on 2010 did they start alowing people to live and work in the yard , now it's being popular with liveaboard again .
Although I understand there a time limit how long you can stay on the hard before being charge a a extra .

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest