Winter lay-up near Faro airport?

overstag

Visit site
Quite a few threads here on the Algarve.
Could anyone give me advice for a location to leave my 44ft sailboat, within reasonable distance of Faro airport?
I would like to leave here lifted out on shore. Something like Cleopatra Marina on the Algarve?

Thanks!

greeny

Visit site
Could anyone give me advice for a location to leave my 44ft sailboat, within reasonable distance of Faro airport?
I would like to leave here lifted out on shore. Something like Cleopatra Marina on the Algarve?

Thanks!

Nearest place is Bruces yard in Faro, very close to the airport. Not sure of the size limits fo access and lifting there though. I'm sure one of the locals from that neck of the woods will be along to advise on that soon. Otherwise try Portimao. Good boat lifts and several storage yards to chose from in the boatyard area.

nortada

Visit site

Thanks!

Going east, Olhao has a boat yard with a hydraulic sledge but I have never hauled there so unsure of their ability to lift larger vessels.

As I recall, the Olhao fishing fleet hauls there so size/weight should not be a problem.

It could have the most competitive prices?

GHA

Visit site
Going east, Olhao has a boat yard with a hydraulic sledge but I have never hauled there so unsure of their ability to lift larger vessels.

As I recall, the Olhao fishing fleet hauls there so size/weight should not be a problem.

It could have the most competitive prices?

Gone up 20% this year apparently. Bruces not exactly expensive anyway, & electricity included.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Gone up 20% this year apparently. Bruces not exactly expensive anyway, & electricity included.

We've been using Bruce's for 12 years, airport about 10 mins by taxi or 25 mins by bus after short walk. Supermarkets and DIY store 10 mins walk away. No problem with 44ft boat, 50+ ft boats in there, purpose made support frames plus tie-downs. Ria Formosa and the other two yards at Olhao are cheaper but boats packed too tight together and not somewhere I would use.

c.buck

Visit site

Thanks!

I'd be really cautious. It may be too little too late, but I've struggled with getting maintenance and repairs done in Portugal! Still waiting to find a good surveyor or repairer that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for something that I could probably do myself if only I had the time!

greeny

Visit site
I'd be really cautious. It may be too little too late, but I've struggled with getting maintenance and repairs done in Portugal! Still waiting to find a good surveyor or repairer that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for something that I could probably do myself if only I had the time!

I understand your comments and we all feel the same sometimes, but isn't this the same wherever you are within reasonable sailing distance of Portugal. I've had these frustrations in UK as well over the years.
There are good people who do good work in Portugal, you just have to locate them, like everywhere.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Thanks for all your answers, people. I think I’ll look into Bruce’s further.

Bruce's is a DIY yard and he's very picky about allowing outside contractors in, due to bad experience in the past. If you need work doing, then Lagos or Portimao are the places to go, both with train access to Faro then bus/taxi to airport.

TOKOLOSHI

Visit site

Thanks!

40ft no problem for Bruce! 20 minutes from the airport! taxi around 8euro! Good secure yard!

ironmaiden

Visit site
We are in Bruce's yard, we are 44 ft. Great place to be if you need to work on your boat, good shops in walking distance and you can't get any closer to the airport. So it's yes from me!

greeny

Visit site
If you decide on Portimao due to the fact you need contractor to do work then PM me and I'll give you details of who does my jobs for me. Reliable and fair prices.

overstag

Visit site
Thanks again, all. Very usefull!
I’m not so much a DIY sailor, unless I have to ��
So perhaps Portimao might be a better option for us.
Would that be the Portimao Marina Boatyard?

greeny

Visit site
Thanks again, all. Very usefull!
I’m not so much a DIY sailor, unless I have to ��
So perhaps Portimao might be a better option for us.
Would that be the Portimao Marina Boatyard?

Two options for cranes, the marina boatyard crane that can lift you and put you in the marina's yard or the even bigger crane nearby that can lift you and put you in one of the other yards there. The other yards are slightly cheaper than the marina one but I just use the marina for convenience and as I'm not usually out for that long anyway. I'm not there at the moment but will be back next week if you want any details or contact numbers. PM me.