Winter Boating and Scandinavian cruisers

Moonshiners

www.speedandstrip.co.uk
Is it just me or are more people coming around to the Scandinavian style cabin boats and using them year round?

We used to be one of the few smaller (sub 30ft) motor boaters actually out and about alot in winter, making the most of a very pleasant and quite Solent throughout the off months.

We have just decided to put our Yamarin 68C up for sale (PM if your interested) with the intention of scaling up and buying a much bigger boat for offshore cruising, but would always stick to the flexibility of hardtops with large sunroofs and big doors.

Just wondering how many others have got in to the Scandi boat design over the last couple of years and started making the most of the off season?

EDIT:_
Note I'm not trying to start a thread on Open VS Cabin etc...
Just interested how many people have converted to the Scandinavian style boats to make the most out of year round cruising.

20kn @ 20lph cruising (year round, in the warm toastie cabin)
PM for details.

Last edited:

enterprise

Visit site
The popularity of Nimbus boats at our marina hasn't gone unnoticed, from a handful, which were few and far between to one in almost every other berth, the 310 and 320 seem very popular.
Iv'e got to say I can see the appeal as their well suited to the British climate (Cold & rain, even in summer).
I think of them as a 'Done the Canopies', 'Done the banging and crashing at speed', done the wind in the hair' so now what we really want is a 'comfortable armchair' kind of boat with all the comforts of home!

Seems sensible to me

Granthsmith

Visit site
I'd certainly like to move up to something like this in the future from our 27" sports cruiser as we've gone off the speed and banging already too and would like a few comforts. The Corvette 320 looks nice but expensive so I was wondering, is the Nimbus 310/320 a planing or semi-displacement hull, the brokers seem to advertise them as both depending on who you talk to?

Last edited:

powerskipper

www.facebook.com
yup

Is it just me or are more people coming around to the Scandinavian style cabin boats and using them year round?

We used to be one of the few smaller (sub 30ft) motor boaters actually out and about alot in winter, making the most of a very pleasant and quite Solent throughout the off months.

We have just decided to put our Yamarin 68C up for sale (PM if your interested) with the intention of scaling up and buying a much bigger boat for offshore cruising, but would always stick to the flexibility of hardtops with large sunroofs and big doors.

Just wondering how many others have got in to the Scandi boat design over the last couple of years and started making the most of the off season?

Just interested how many people have converted to the Scandinavian style boats to make the most out of year round cruising.

20kn @ 20lph cruising (year round, in the warm toastie cabin)
PM for details.

The school boat I work on quite a bit at mo is a hard top with sun roof and patio door,
she is wonderful, no more waterproofs all the time and warm in winter, make a great difference to boating all year round , and you don't have to be on hyperaemia watch all the time when its cold, just turn the heat up,.

whisper

Visit site

We love the flexibility of ours - Mini flybridge - wind in the hair etc.
OR warm as toast in the heated wheelhouse. Side doors onto walkaround also make for really easy single-handing.
Had some great trips on really crisp & cold Winter days. Hopefully more to come.

wonky

Visit site
After my pb2 it was wheelhouse forever for me. It was a pleasant summers day but still cold cold and wet!
Have just upgraded from beneteau Antares 6 to Antares 30. Bring on the winter!
Sorry it's not Scandanavian bit pricey for my pocket.

mont

Visit site
Hi,
The concept / design of the scandi 'cabin' variants has been running a long time. They are a much more considered purchase and generally much more 'workmanlike'. Understand they are often a 'trade up' purchase when the shortcomings of the design / build / sea handling qualities of your 'first' boat are realised.
The scandi type cabin boats are generally not blinged up so some do find them a bit traditional because there just solid, all weathers, and built for the job. Guess that, and the extra cost, is why perhaps they often get rejected as a first boat purchase.
Nimbus 'cabin' types are considered the common & popular choice for yachtsmen moving over from sail to power so perhaps that says a lot for your initial comment.
We purchased our Nimbus 33, albeit the 'avanta' variation, some 6 seasons ago.
This version was a variant of the 33 / 340 / 345 coupe with the addition of a second flybridge helm up top. In summer / warm days we're up top, in winter or rainy days then lower helm. This basic styling remains pretty much un-changed for nearly 20 years now.
We have boated 12 months of the year and had many 'frosty' (winter !) weekends on board. Done 'all seasons' of rivers, estuaries, North Sea and latterly some serious off shore stuff plus sublime anchorages around Mallorca / Menorca for 3 seasons.
The cabin concept works just great. Really excellent all round boats built for all weathers summer or winter.

FWIW loads of photos of layout / styling of ours at :
http://www.jamesdickensmarine.com/brokerage/powerboats/NimbusAvanta33.htm

strakeryrius

chasing some sunshine - or a cold beer - or both
Visit site
You don't have to have a scandi-type boat to stay out on the water all year. I go right through the winter on my Targa 34 getting the covers down as often as I can. There are some beautiful crisp and sunny days in December/January, and as long as you are properly dressed for the weather there's no need to be indoors.

After all real boaters don't feel the cold do they? :eek:

Ducks and runs for cover. :D

duncan

Visit site
You don't have to have a scandi-type boat to stay out on the water all year. I go right through the winter on my Targa 34 getting the covers down as often as I can. There are some beautiful crisp and sunny days in December/January, and as long as you are properly dressed for the weather there's no need to be indoors.

After all real boaters don't feel the cold do they? :eek:

Ducks and runs for cover. :D

fair point - but the issue is not dissimilar to switching on the CH or adding a jumper around the house!

whilst I am happy to put on the survival suit and stand in the cockpit fishing to enjoy those crisp clear days, I would prefer not to have to wear it all when running around.

either way the answer is to be out there and enjoy it.

Moonshiners

www.speedandstrip.co.uk
Hey Strake, the post was never intended as the only way forward is scandi, i was just interested in other peoples perception of the increase in popularity of the scadi style cabins... Simply because scandi boats are what I'm interested in...

Quote:
"Note I'm not trying to start a thread on Open VS Cabin etc...
Just interested how many people have converted to the Scandinavian style boats to make the most out of year round cruising."

As some of the posts above it seems that they are gaining more popularity, we will be very sad to see our Yamarin go, it's been the best and most reliable inshore boat we have ever owned.

Personally I'd never go back to canvas covers (that we also used year around previously) but that's another thread!

Very fond of the Nimbus' for 30ft +. Can't fault our Yamarin for sub 30ft (it's 25ft).

Grant - Give Offshore Powerboats UK (Lymington) a call, they are the Nimbus guys.

Cheers,

Nautorius

Visit site
The last two years in the UK I moved to a Scandanavian Hard Top sports cruiser, an Aquador 23HT. Only a small boat but probably the best boat I owned! We got it so that we could easily use it over the winter. We had a 3 year old who got cold easy so a HT worked a treat!

If in the UK I would definitely get a HT again, although I prefer the open rear with canvas infill like the Aquadors of even the Jeanneau prestige 38S. I think when you pay that amount of money you should be easily able to use her all year! The wife does not like Patio doors on a boat so that rules out some and flybridges!

Paul

Mino

Have nicked the Tardis, so could be anywhere
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Scandinavian and Dutch boats. Had originally wanted a flybridge: a Nord West 560, and was also considering a Wim Van Der Valk 20m; both with IPS. But have settled on an Elling E4, one of the many reasons being the low air draft so I can explore the inland waterways as well.