wing keel v fin keel on dehler 36/7 and sigma 362

PaulR

Home West Sussex, Boat on Mooring in Gosport
Visit site
both the sigma 362 and dehler 36/7 cws were offered with either a fin keel or a shallower wing keel - has anyone experience of sailing the wing keel versions please and how did it perform ?

if you have sailed both the fin and the wing and can compare or have sailed on a wing version "against" a fin be even more interesting ?

the shallower draft of the wing appeals but not if it spoils the feel of the boat or has a noticeable negative effect on performance- thanks all

shmoo

Visit site
We have a wing keel 362 and I am happy to bore you with the benefits of it but I have never sailed a fin keel model so have no basis for comparison.

There does seem to be two "modes". Below about 2kt it makes quite a bit of leeway - almost like not having a keel at all, then as it speeds up the keel seems to bite and then works very well. This is all subjective - no figures to back it up.

Is supposed to give a flatter ride in choppy seas, but without experience of both who knows.

doris

Visit site
Had a 362 Wing keeler for 4 years and raced it short handed and crewed. Only in v. light winds did it make any difference but any loss here was made up for when reaching when I suspect the wing had the edge. Hard on the wind, nothing in it when rail to rail with another (fin) 362. My only concern was if caught aground the wing was v. wide and she might stand for ages then crash! If you can find a totally dry one couldn't reccomend one more highly.

shmoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

My only concern was if caught aground the wing was v. wide and she might stand for ages then crash!

[/ QUOTE ]
when we bought ours the previous owner warned that if ever we thought we were going to dry out to MAKE IT LEAN EARLY

I was interested to hear the "rail to rail" comments.

We love ours. It goes where we point it.

BobE

Visit site
Never sailed a wing keel but a chum of mine had a Hanse which had one. She drew, as I remember the same as me .. 1.07m but when I bottom the crew go onto the boom and we usually get off... Won't work with the wing and it just digs in like an anchor..
Wouldn't have one in Christchurch unless it lifted like a Parker!
Just FWIW Cheers Bob E.....

shmoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

it just digs in like an anchor..

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it doesn’t seem to dig in, at least not on gently shelving mud. It more skids along the top until you stop. The trick then is to put the helm hard over, gun the engine, and very gently swivel on the wing and go back out the way you came. Works in the Orwell and Deben.