Windows 98 (must be at least that many siezed screws )

A

ark

Any ideas as to removing ss screws from aluminium window frames. Looking at the ones I have managed to unsrew it seems the problem may be that the original sealer got onto the screw threads when the windows were fitted. I would like to use a solution to dissolve the sealer and wonder if anyone has any ideas. Thanks for reading this and for any help

OGITD

Visit site
Ethlybenzene or Styrene has very good properties for reactivation of gelcoat and creating a loose flowable surface with many substances. But be very careful and read the COSHH data hazard sheet.

Eventide26

Visit site
I so misread this, I thought you had a software problem then /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

VicS

Visit site
Styrene is not ethylbenzene, the side chain is unsaturated!

Safety data for styrene HERE

Would not like to comment on whether it would be the answer to the problem or not. I guess it would depend upon the sealant in question.

When we re-bedded some windows we renewed a significant proportion of the Interscrews (and they were the odd size that Westerly used at one time)

davidbains

Visit site
It could equally well be corrosion tween the stainless and alloy.
Try various releasing sprays and wait. Also a bit of a tap on the screwdriver, followed by a lot of pressure while you first try and tighten the screw, can somtimes break the seal.
It takes as long as it takes. You could end up damaging the alloy Frames.
Are they essential? Could they be replaced using slightly larger windows?
If so you can take a grinder to the most recalcitrant screw heads.

A

ark

Many thanks for the replies. I now have a plan A and a plan B.Hope angle grinder does not become plan C but fear it might.