windlass size

C

catalac08

thinking to fit an electric 12v windlass as anchor a lot and wonder about optimum size of windlass- normal tackle 15kg delta (yes I know this is oversize for boat but it makes me feel secure) which I swear by, often 30m x 8mm chain, 27ft cat weight about 3tonnes. how many watts power and any recommendation or reservations would be welcome advice

cheers

jerryat

Visit site
Lofrans Airon 1000w vertical windlass. Used one for about ten years and hundreds of anchorings. Excellent!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C

catalac08

thanks for suggestuion but was thinking more of a deck mounted horizontal windlass as my chain locker is about 5ft across x3ft fore to aft but only 10ins deep. I think a vertical windlass motor would limit the free flow of chain and it may then bunch up and not have the drop to self stow under gravity. I have tried this out with and without a simulated motor shape and I think I am better off with a horizontal. I have a rather industrial looking prodder so the neat foredeck is blown anyway.

Talbot

Visit site
I have a 9m Catalac - The deck mounted windlass does stow better. but the best solution is an offset vertical that drops via a chute into one of the side lockers. Either way, there is a much increased chance of the slack genoa sheet catching on the gypsy, unless you take the slack out of it before tacking.

GMac

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
thinking to fit an electric 12v windlass as anchor a lot and wonder about optimum size of windlass- normal tackle 15kg delta (yes I know this is oversize for boat but it makes me feel secure) which I swear by, often 30m x 8mm chain, 27ft cat weight about 3tonnes. how many watts power and any recommendation or reservations would be welcome advice

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Picking by Wattage is not a good idea. For example a Maxwell 1000W will easily (country mile actually) out pull a Lewmar 1000W. It's all about how whatever wattage is used to turn the gypsy.

Pick a good brand and one that fits your chain size. If you have a choice of say a Lofrans X1 with a 700W or 1000W then you think wattage.

Horizontals do tend to be better for cats due to their usually shallow lockers.

TAKE ALL manufacturers pulling loads and speed with a few very large grains of salt. Most are overstated and some to a large degree. I'd probably exclude Maxwell from that statement as they always exceed theirs in any tests.

craigsmith

www.petersmith.net.nz
[ QUOTE ]
It's all about how whatever wattage is used to turn the gypsy.

[/ QUOTE ]E.g. gearing. You need to look at load specs, not pure power, although be aware of what GMac says concerning that.

[ QUOTE ]
Horizontals do tend to be better for cats due to their usually shallow lockers.

[/ QUOTE ]And more common usage of both wheels since it's easier to run the rode. Not that I've ever had a cat!

----

Put a 70Kg on a Nordhavn today with a Maxwell 3000W... had a 75Kg plow copy on there before, but only has BBB 10mm chain! Fresh in from the US whadya know.

snowleopard

Visit site
Don't worry about the weight of the boat. You shouldn't use the windlass to pull the boat up to the anchor, it's there to lift the chain and anchor on board. I have a 16kg anchor and 8mm chain and I use a 1000w windlass. It has never tripped the breaker except when using the warping drum on a heavy load.