Windlass Chain Identification

BrokerBen

N/A
Visit site
Hello good knowledgeable chappies.

Can anybody tell me what chain this is, as I need to replace it.

DSCF0033.jpg

Cheers

Ben

BrokerBen

N/A
Visit site
I have a 40 year old GRP boat, weight is the least of my concerns. I am going to have to purchase 50m of chain for go with a 30lb CQR. The bitter end is just going to be a bit longer and stronger this time, and im gonna mark the chain not try and second guess somebody elses markings...

BrokerBen

N/A
Visit site
I see where you are coming from... I just got used to which is which, I guess it isn't obvious to those who dont know.

So, I need to get some chain samples and find which fits then, by the looks, I am not sure I understand when you chaps are saying this that and the other fit, I think I am reading those suggestions cover a range, one of which will fit.

fun fun!

BrokerBen

N/A
Visit site
I have some numbers from the Windlass...

RM1 50 F1 C25
1/70
01/2001

Does any of that reveal anything about chain.

GMac

Visit site
That chain looks OK and a bit 8mm.

None of the numbers above can be relied on as they are the winch info and does not say which gypsy is fitted. Looks like an old Rider maybe.

Quicks are easy to fit to so just measure, accurately, the wire size and the internal length of a link. If it is 8mm it should be 24mm inside. Ask for 8mm DIN766 Type A.

If its a 10mm it will measure either 28 or 30mm inside. The 28mm is a DIN766/A and the 30mm is a EN818-3. Don't think it's 10 though.

Don't ask for ISO standard as contrary to popular opinion it doesn't exist. ISO set the standards and are a bunch of people. DIN and EN are just 2 of the standards they administer.

If you have a Lewmar (and Acco use ISO) and read the book saying fit 'ISO' chain ask for EN818-3 standard as that is what they actually mean. By the way the '-3' part is important as there are -1 and -2 as well, they won't fit.