Wind

ccscott49

Visit site
Has anybody else noticed how bad/strong the winds have been since before christmas? I've been around a while working on different rigs all over the place, I've never seen a period of strong winds so long and it's not over yet! I spend a fair amount of time looking at weather patterns, we have been shut down due to weather for ten days this year already, thats on a fixed rig! How the floaters are doing I don't know! If you look at the weather over the atlantic, there's storm after storm piling up to hammer us, i'm wondering if I'm imagining this or have some of the "longer of tooth" noticed this aswell, think back lads!

byron

RIP
Visit site
When I was a kid the 'A' bomb got the blame for bad weather, now it is Global Warming, I guess in my Granddad's day it was the shells fired in WW1. Before him the transition from Sail to Steam. I'm just surprised that Smokers haven't been blamed, maybe they're saving that one now they are realising that there is no Global Warming other than the natural cycle.

ô¿ô

ccscott49

Visit site
Damn good point Byron, so you have noticed a difference? I quit smokin' so they can't blame me this time, mind you I do have an OLD motorbike, which I add lead stuff to the fuel, (how do they expect a 10.5:1 engine to run!) so they'll say it's me anyway! They say we are in for another El Nino year, anchovy catch down, shrimp up! So it means we'll have to live on shrimp cocktails! They may get cheap!

trev

Visit site
I was working in the North Sea in 1976 and seem to remember we had a good summer but the winter seemed to continue up to May the next year. We recorded a seventy foot wave while towing the 'Ocean Victory' off the Norwegian coast.
Supposed to move the thing five miles to the north, and wound up fifteen miles to the south of where we started after five days.
Lets hope things settle down soon and pray for some good boating weather this year!!

Trev

burgundyben

Visit site
If Ali G was right and Global warming will make Blighty like Ibiza I'm in support of it. Quick, reach for your aerosoles, get spraying.

I've not noticed that the weather has been consistently bad, but then I am in China, today in Shanghai its sunny, dry, bout 18 degrees, in fact very nice, woz like it yesterday too, weather here is a lot more stable, 5 days rain, 8 days dry the systems seem to change alot more slowly.

Hope weather clears up form 15th Mar onwards, back in Englands pleasant pastures green to play boats, only one more week in this dump, woo hoo!!

BTW, are McDonalds chips made from solid spud or are they reconstituted? Just wondering.

burgundyben, coolest of men, by all I'm called, cool burgundyben.

davel

Visit site
> How the floaters are doing I don't know!

No need to worry, the waves that are associated with this high wind will get rid of them. I knew it was scarry on those rigs, but never realised just how scarry !

I apologise in advance for this post :)

Dave L.

tcm

Visit site
Re: McDo\'s FRIES

Yes yes. And only certain types of spud too, cos the ones they found in Russia were no good, so they had to plant fields full of the correct ones. It says so on the leaflets.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

On the other hand, we had a fairly settled Autumn (unlike 2000). I was out on the water a couple of times in December in glorious winter sunshine.
Anyway, its official according to the Daily Mail. Global Warming is a fiction concocted by greedy politicians after our taxes in the name of saving the planet, conniving scientists who know they have to toe the eco line to get a grant and wacko lentil eating sandalistas who couldnt get us to use buses when they ran the Labour party.
Yes the weather's been lousy these past 2 months but my boat's been out of the water so who cares?

burgundyben

Visit site
Veri pished now

comapny jusdt pasid ofr dinner @ la tina and many drinks in long bar at Shanghai portoman building, yes, agree, macdougalls chips definately made from spuds, had beta go now,

oooops

burgundyben, coolest of men, by all I'm called, cool burgundyben.

piratequeen

Visit site
In the paper the other day it said that the remote wave/current machines in the Pacific look like they're measuring a new El Ninó (can't get a waggly line over my n) so we're in for a summer of continuing depressions, strong winds and general sh*t)