Wind vane self steering , a plus point or not?

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I disagree with the other replies. Having a windvane installed on a boat shows that it is well setup - it has all the necessary accoutrements.

If I buy a boat without autopilot / windvane then I'm just going to have to fit one myself. Dismantling it, selling it, fitting a replacement - this all creates more work.

I do agree with @Kwik Decision that it depends on the boat, though.
You never tried to use my hydra auto-steer.

dunedin

Visit site
Dunedin, I don’t follow your logic.
Sigma 362 is a modern-ish fast cruiser. Although capable offshore, generally used extensively for more coastal cruising. Most would want /need an electronic autopilot - as works under sail or motor. And plenty big enough that battery power is not an issue under sail.

I suggested something like a Sadler or Contessa 26 buyer as more likely to want wind vane as tend to be bought by people who might consider blue water offshore ability a priority over space inside, ultimate performance and handling in marina - and sufficiently small that more likely to struggle for batter capacity for long distances under autopilot.

Just my view. (And having sailed a few Sigma 362s in the past, a classic boat from its era.). I certainly would not want the clutter on my stern on a boat like that for cruising around Scotland.

Last edited:

Praxinoscope

Visit site
The Navik worked perfectly on the aft slung rudder of my Invicta 26, it needed a couple of lengthened stays.
When I fitted it there were only a few wind vanes that worked with the aft slung rudder, and the Navik was also much lighter and smaller than many of the other options as it was designed for the smaller boat. Although it sounds as if Poignards 'Monitor' would work.
It's a real shame that it's no longer in production and finding a replacement is a bit like searching for an honest politician.
Navik.JPG

Tranona

Visit site
Googled Sigma 362 images and could only identify 6 fitted with wind vane steering - 2 were from Hydrovane publicity, one was an ARC entry and another was fully kitted out for blue water - gantry, bimini etc,

So clearly not a common feature on this model boat so whether you leave it on or not depends on your view of whether potential buyers will see it as a positive and maybe worth paying a bit more - not whether you think it is a good thing to have.

Typical prices vary between £25-35k and impossible to say whether this feature will help get a higher price and its independent value is much less than 10% of selling price. Personally I would leave it on - the boat is what it is and let the buyer decide. Maybe you will get an otherwise good buyer who likes it but does not want the windvane so it could become a bargaining point.

Just present the boat in the best condition you can, expose it to a wide range of potential buyers and see what happens.

Poignard

Visit site
The Navik worked perfectly on the aft slung rudder of my Invicta 26, it needed a couple of lengthened stays.
When I fitted it there were only a few wind vanes that worked with the aft slung rudder, and the Navik was also much lighter and smaller than many of the other options as it was designed for the smaller boat. Although it sounds as if Poignards 'Monitor' would work.
It's a real shame that it's no longer in production and finding a replacement is a bit like searching for an honest politician.
View attachment 165195
I can see no reason why a Monitor would not work as well, and be as easy to install, on your boat as it does on my Twister.

Four bolts through the transom and four throught the deck.

The manufacturers, Scanmar, can provide detailed advice.

1696613916240.png