Wind heads-up for English Channel Thursday night/Friday morning

simonjk

www.SailingWeather.co.uk
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted here, hope you have missed me :)

This is just a bit of aheads-up for a storm system which is being watched for Thursday night and Friday morning in the English Channel.

The low pressure passes east overnight and may well bring winds in excess of F9 as it passes east (the chart below is for 7am Friday morning).

There's still plenty of uncertainty in exactly where the low goes; further north and the stronger winds and more widespread, further south and they are lighter.

Just wanted to make you aware of this systems especially as so many start to prepare for the easter holidays.

Kind regards,
Simon

1679998990924.png

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Met office 10 day YouTube channel have a scatter gram of where the various runs have the centre of the low. A fair divergence.

Welcome back Simon. I miss your daily videos.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I remember checking your posts and regular weather updates many years ago before we set off from UK in 2012. The information was always useful and often with timely warnings. They became less relevant as we got further from the UK and I don't remember seeing posts here much after 2012.

Good to know you are still around. I'd rather it didn't blow too hard at Easter as I'm flying from Gatwick at that time. I'm going to rapidly lose interest in weather here once I'm in Greece for the summer. :D:D.

simonjk

www.SailingWeather.co.uk
Hi all,

Latest chart sequence below showing surface pressure and rainfall.

Showers the low now south of Ireland at 1800GMT, then passing E to be over the eastern Midlands by midday Friday.

Notice how close together the isobars are with F9-F10 winds through the Channel, together with accompanying high seas. Gust of 50 to 60mph are like in marinas of southern England so do take precautions now if you can.

Simon

1680179201173.png1680179215516.png
1680179243033.png1680179259905.png

Visit site
If this storm had not been well forecast, we would have been sailing our Westerly Fulmar round from Plymouth to Southampton, starting today. We have decided to delay until Sunday, so I would love to hear from people around that coast what the conditions on Friday actually turn out to be.

Elessar

Visit site
If this storm had not been well forecast, we would have been sailing our Westerly Fulmar round from Plymouth to Southampton, starting today. We have decided to delay until Sunday, so I would love to hear from people around that coast what the conditions on Friday actually turn out to be.
Even it’s a flat calm you made the right decision.