Will tumbling fuel prices change how you use your boat next year??

Firefly625

Visit site
Forecourt fuel prices may be below £1 per litre in early 2015 for unleaded.... (According to the AA...) so are we all going to go further, go quicker, or go more often?

I hope for us it will be at least 2 out of 3...

mad_boater

Visit site
Forecourt fuel prices may be below £1 per litre in early 2015 for unleaded.... (According to the AA...) so are we all going to go further, go quicker, or go more often?

just hope it will be cheap come the summer.

Thoough I very much doubt it.

Sorry to be a spoil sport.

Last edited:

CX54WEK

Visit site
In the scheme of things fuel costs are way down the costs list for keeping our boat so cheaper prices really wont have that much of an influence on how we use the boat.

Fuel costs for us for this year are just under £1100.

desperatelyseeking

Visit site
I wonder if lower fuel prices may have an impact on the used boat market. I've always fancied trading up from my 27' sports boat to a family friendly flybridge but have been put off, not by initial cost but by the thought of the fuel bill. Maybe some of those unloved mid nineties boats with big lumps from Fairline might catch a bid now. However, I know that fuel only a part of annual running cost - every little helps.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
I think I spent about £20 on diesel for the boat this year!! Don't "donk" when it can be avoided :encouragement:

I spend about £120 per month on diesel for my car, which means I drive about 13,000 miles per year. I doubt if I'll intentionally drive further, but I have an extra trip to Cornwall and South West Wales planned, so IF​ the prices stay low at least I'll save a few bob. Would be appreciated.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
I have a friend who installed massive fuel tanks during the last slump and stocked up. He was slightly prepping for things going tits up over here though. It served him well but I would worry about modern diesel going off.

Cheery

Visit site
I was having the same thought when I read the post about spending £20 on diesel for a year. What sort of nasties can grow in diesel? DO any of these ant-bacteria things actualy work?

gjgm

Visit site

I think it is the weather than seems to dictate my fuel consumption. That and where we go on holiday- and that is somewhat weather dependant too !

Wavey

Visit site
I think it is the weather than seems to dictate my fuel consumption. That and where we go on holiday- and that is somewhat weather dependant too !
Likewise. If the weather is carp next summer we'll use considerably less than this year so we'll save. If it's as good or better than this year we'll use more fuel and it would be nice if it was a bit cheaper but it's not a deciding factor.

As to how much it will actually drop in price, let's just say I'm not holding my breath :)

burgundyben

Visit site
Same for me, weather will have a bigger impact than fuel price. Fuel is a smallish part of the total cost.

(I used far more fuel in the Jag than the boat).

AdeOlly

Visit site
what are current prices for red diesel with 60/40 split? last time I filled up I think it was £1.09 p/l

It was 101.7 ppl at Premier Gosport about 10 days ago, cheaper for berth holders.

As to will I use the boat more, it probably make no odds unless there's a massive drop as I use it at every opportunity, and like others fuel is a small proportion of overall costs.

David2452

Visit site
Available time and weather is what dictates how we boat rather than fuel prices, as has been said they are a fairly small percentage of most (motor)boaters cost of ownership, I guess the exception may be larger thirstier boats where the fuel costs can run into real money.

pan

Visit site
A full refuel costs me about £2.5k 2014, so if we see a 20% drop, that will be a saving of £500 each fill... certainly pays for a few good dinners in the restaurants ! Based on +100hrs a season, thats probably £5k... sounds good to me.:encouragement:

Anders_P42

Visit site
I wonder if lower fuel prices may have an impact on the used boat market. I've always fancied trading up from my 27' sports boat to a family friendly flybridge but have been put off, not by initial cost but by the thought of the fuel bill. Maybe some of those unloved mid nineties boats with big lumps from Fairline might catch a bid now. However, I know that fuel only a part of annual running cost - every little helps.

I wouldn't upgrade because of a temporary drop in fuel prices, the Arabs could keep them low for a year or two forcing some small oil companies out of business, then wack up the price again once they're back in control with less competition.