Will tumbling fuel prices change how you use your boat next year??

Portofino

Visit site
A full refuel costs me about £2.5k 2014, so if we see a 20% drop, that will be a saving of £500 each fill... certainly pays for a few good dinners in the restaurants ! Based on +100hrs a season, thats probably £5k... sounds good to me.:encouragement:

Yup my man ( and women ) maths means more meals out + wine nearer the back of wine " book " here in the SoF .
Can,t see me planing any extra longer trips than I have in mind for 2015 allready .
Just absorb any savings on fuel and pass on to restaurant s - I think ?

Or go faster ? Hmm tricky one ------

Cheery

Visit site
Do you mean my tank is developing nasties because I use so little diesel? Or that I'm lucky to use so little?

I meant that if you are only filling up once and it stays in your tank for a long period it could go off. I appreciate that if you don't use a lot there is no point in a 'little and often' approach but if nasties do grow in diesel which has been stood for a good few months, what will it do when it gets to your filters just at the moment when you need it.

A genuine question, I'm not trying to be clever.

Momac

Visit site
We changed the boat this year . Doubled the displacement (plus a bit) . Doubled the number of engines .
Not surprising some of our costs will have have doubled, almost.
Plans for next year were hatched before the fuel price reduced. Our plans will not change.

But it did make a refreshing change, recently, to top up the tanks of the boat at a price that was less than expected.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
I meant that if you are only filling up once and it stays in your tank for a long period it could go off. I appreciate that if you don't use a lot there is no point in a 'little and often' approach but if nasties do grow in diesel which has been stood for a good few months, what will it do when it gets to your filters just at the moment when you need it.

A genuine question, I'm not trying to be clever.

And I didn't take it as being "clever". Thanks for the clarification.

As a matter of course, I keep my tank topped right up. EXCEPT, I've just realised I didn't fill up again last week when I ran for 25 minutes! Bummer, now I'm going to fret all Christmas...........;)

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
Just as others have said, it's the weather that dictates fuel burn more than the price of it. I'm sure if the weather is amazing next year and we have nothing but calm seas, then the price per litre may become a factor in more longer trips....... But we tend to just go as and when we can as you never know what the following weekend may bring.

PCUK

Visit site
It will certainly affect those of us at the bottom of the financial ladder, for the better off, larger boat skippers who have so far replied, it will be less of an issue. For me fuel prices are the biggest running cost worry which is why I've downsized from 12m flybridge to 8m sport cruiser. Even a short spell of low prices will be very welcome but I doubt it will last long. Might mean an extra bottle of Mateus though.:rolleyes:

Robg71

Visit site
Current fuel prices are a by product of american shale gas and fracking, (according to my industry newsletters) its affected me more than just cheaper fuel. Historically theres a glut in fuel prices every ten years or so. I remember being out of work for a year around 99/2000....
All the oil companies are tightening there belts and cancelling contracts left right and centre. Until opec get there act together and the Saudis cut back on production.
The ultra deep water drilling is unsustainable at current oil prices, and the north sea also pretty much uneconomical. We have had quite a few contracts cut back or delayed.
Glad I am on permanent contract, as lots of day-rate staff are down the road.....

Visit site
Okay - am moving boat from Chi Harbour to Suffolk, where no decent priced marine based petrol available. Have decided that will be doing a lot more exploring rather than spending time in the one harbour. Have decided will use more Jerry can top ups so unleaded at supermarket prices with a few p off for coupons (my twin 50hp outboards aren't proud) means that actual cost of fuel will come down from £1.60 per litre to around £1.10 - £1.15. So that reduction means yes - will be going further, yes will be going faster (skis and donut will get an airing) and yes, will make the most of it while I can.

thecommander

Visit site
Indeed. Very tempted to hedge next years fuel bill by buying it now and storing it in tanks. Not sure of the legalities of doing so though.

Last edited:

rafiki_

Visit site
Indeed. Very tempted to hedge next years fuel bill by buying it now and storing it in tanks. Not sure of the legalities of doing so though.
Can't think of any reason why this is not legal, as long as you pay the appropriate tax, I think you can buy as much as you like. Storage could be an issue, but farmers store several thousands of litres, the main issue for is keeping it bug free.

Dill et Bound

Visit site
Should be down a bit more, but today at the Boatworks fueller in QE2 Guernsey.

71 p a litre Red Deisel.
£1 00 a litre Marine Petrol.

Filled a friends Sealine 290.. took 260 litres as a top up.

Had a discount card so worked out at 68 or 69 a litre

He was well happy...

mcanderson

Visit site
For us the savings will be in flights and so may plan an extra trip to our boat. I am already booking cheaper flights for my weekly commute and hopefully some of these savings will find their way back into the boating fund.

A recent daily news email from Riviera Radio stated that one supermarket in the SofF was selling diesel for less than 1€.