Will Garmin NMEA 2000 transducers and instrument displays interface with Raymarine kit running on Seatalkng

ritchyp

Visit site
Hi Folks,

I did have a thread running about replacing Old Stowe Dataline equipment but I figured some readers/posters who contributed and helped me to take the path I'm on, might not bother reading or commenting on that thread anymore as it is and oldish thread and I fear that I might not get the answers I need by continuing that thread with a different approach so I apologise to the admins if I've unwittingly broken any rules.

Now! I believe I have found the right sail pack for my needs and budget.
Its a Garmin GNX 52 Wireless Sail pack - price 1200 GBP. If I'm correct, it should serve my needs and sort out all my issues...

"Includes Garmin GNX™ Wind and GNX 20 marine instruments, gWind™ Wireless 2 transducer and Airmar DST810 thru-hull smart transducer

GNX Wind and GNX 20 instruments have highly visible monochrome LCD displays

gWind Wireless 2 transducer eliminates running wires through masts up to 50 feet

DST810 thru-hull smart transducer provides water depth, water speed and water temperature data — plus attitude sensing for heel/trim and pitch/roll inputs

Wireless connectivity to devices with BLUETOOTH® technology enables DST810 calibration directly through Airmar’s Cast app

Easy plug-and-play installation with NMEA 2000® network

With a GNX Wireless Sail Pack, you will have all the equipment you need to know what’s going on with the wind and the water.'

I have a Raymarine e90w Plotter/MFDwhich uses Seatalkng for sending or receiving serial data and I have an EV1 & AC100 autopilot with P70S head unit but its not connected to Anything apart from the other components of the autohelm system by Seatakng.
As soon as the Wind picks up or even a big gust, it loses its direction because it is not getting any data so currently it is only good for sailing in very light winds or motoring. I think if it starts getting Apparent wind data and connected to the e90w so it could also follow a track, this would stop happening?

I think I'm correct in thinking that the NMEA 2000 data generated from the Garmin kit and Airmar DST 810 will be compatible with my Raymarine equipment, as Seatalkng is NMEA 2000 but Raymarine use there own proprietary connectors and all you need is an adaptor piece or an adaptor cable? Thefore this Garmin pack will play nice with my Raymarine kit as long as I get the adaptor cables from N2K to Seatalkng.

Opinions and comments on my reasoning will be much appreciated.

BR Ritchy

ritchyp

Visit site
Im also wondering if this will come with the DST 810 Gen 2 The gen 2 paddle wheel is much improved and more sensitive to very low speeds and very high STWs

What's in the Box:

gWind™ Wireless 2 transducer

GNX™ Wind marine instrument

GNX™ 20 marine instrument

Airmar DST810 thru-hull smart transducer

NMEA 2000 drop cable (2 meters) x 2

NMEA 2000 power cable

NMEA 2000 T-connectors x 5

NMEA 2000 terminators

NiMH battery

Mast bracket

Mounting hardware

Documentation

Pye_End

Visit site
One area where you get the odd bit of incompatibility is when there are more than one NMEA2000 sentence with similar data - it may well be that Garmin use one, and Raymarine another. I have had difficulty getting waypoint names round the system because of this, though everything else I need seems to be present. Don't know if there are other similar difficulties.

ritchyp

Visit site
Thanks for that Pye end. I just remembered my iComm VHF & AIS Transponders are running on NMEA 0183 so I am going to need another box to get them or at least the AIS on to the N2K network so i can use the AIS overlay on the Raymar e90w.
The digital yacht iKommunicate is nearly 300GBP but after reading again, it sees to be on focusing on an apparently new open source protocol called signal K; which they say is the future because the software is free and doesn't have to pay the NMEA usage Licence fee. They claim its the future and will open the door to lots of cheaper tech but no doubt it will all be app based.
It will be interesting to see what emerges...?

for now though, I need an inexpensive way to use those 0183 devices on the N2K network and to bring the conversation back around to your post, possibly even more issues with NMEA sentences......?

Does anybody know if there is an app or Windows Application that can analyse your entire network so that you can see what's going on and which sentences are being used on the network. I think........? Digital yacht make a black box that does that and plugs into a laptop by USB but I wouldnt swear to it. Ive been doing so much research and have nearly 20 tabs open on my browser.......

Could be somebody else or just a PC program like I asked...

ry

KompetentKrew

Visit site
The digital yacht iKommunicate is nearly 300GBP but after reading again, it sees to be on focusing on an apparently new open source protocol called signal K; which they say is the future because the software is free and doesn't have to pay the NMEA usage Licence fee. They claim its the future and will open the door to lots of cheaper tech but no doubt it will all be app based.
It will be interesting to see what emerges...?
I don't expect the major manufacturers to adopt this - Raymarine, B&G, Garmin will all pay NMEA2000 licensing fees to maintain compatibility with their existing kit. This is why Raymaine created their quirky SeatalkNG in the first place, in fact. Even the new Orca kit interfaces with transducers via NMEA 2000. NMEA even have a standard to accommodate ethernet now - NMEA OneNet.

You may be able to put the AIS's NMEA 0183 into the chartplotter directly.

IMO you'll regret this bundle. I'd never accept a wireless wind transducer, and I reiterate my recommendation for the LCJ Capteurs ultrasonic one.

ritchyp

Visit site
I don't expect the major manufacturers to adopt this - Raymarine, B&G, Garmin will all pay NMEA2000 licensing fees to maintain compatibility with their existing kit. This is why Raymaine created their quirky SeatalkNG in the first place, in fact. Even the new Orca kit interfaces with transducers via NMEA 2000. NMEA even have a standard to accommodate ethernet now - NMEA OneNet.

You may be able to put the AIS's NMEA 0183 into the chartplotter directly.

IMO you'll regret this bundle. I'd never accept a wireless wind transducer, and I reiterate my recommendation for the LCJ Capteurs ultrasonic one.
I bought the Garmin GNX Wired Sail Pack 52. Got it at a brilliant price through a 3rd party at a lower than retail price but supplied by Garmin and Fully warrantied. I got everything in the list I posted originally in the Thread but went fully wired. The 3rd prty mentioned had just installed one on his Nicholson 42' and I told him that during my research and from reviews, advice and even a YouTube video that said "DONT BUY THE WIRELESS VERSION!!" I wanted to go fully wired - he came back to me and said his lost connectivity when he was trying it on the hard as its a major fit/modern restoration.

Fully agreed with my findings and will be swapping it for the wired version. The Ultrasonic one as good as it looks would have cost me more than half of what I paid fir the entire pack. I am grateful though for being warned off of going wireless (y)

ritchyp

Visit site
The Raymarine e90w has two NMEA 0183 ports, should be OK for AIS and VHF
I have a feeling it is attached to the VHF because for one, it will only switch on if the VHF is switched on at the main switch board and It is recieving data from something as I got into data mode and it showed that it was receiving Nmea data at the hi speed baud rate 38400 bits/ second.
I also tried to make the AiS overlay work and the icon shows no AIS connected.

I have an EV1 auto pilot with ACU 100 and a new P70S head and the MFD says no Autopilot connected. The auto pilot is running standalone and not getting any data in track mode and is currently in wind vane mode but I know it's not getting any data from the old Stowe wind transducer which is being removed.
My guess that the data being received by the E90W MFD is from the VHF-DSC Radio but that's only an assumption. I would like to get the AIS connected too.
The loom is double ended so it can be used at the helm or the chart table so it has open section in the service void where there are lots of tinned up cables and it is getting power probably from the same source as the VHF.