WIFI in the Med.

B175Chris

Visit site
In SoF we just fnd the nearest mcdonalds, Free broadband wifi /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Depends where you are in the med i suppose though, just a tip /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

B175Chris

Visit site
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

haha Its not wot you think /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Go in, use wifi in air conditioning for hours, buy one strawberry milkshake for 79 cents, get out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B175Chris

Visit site
Port grimaud is just round the corner from St tropez, about 2km perhaps? directly opposite St Trop by sea, about 4km via that route but very scenic!

B175Chris

Visit site
This is a new site it seems, i havent had a chance to look around properly but here you go:

http://www.portgrimaud.com/introduction.html

This might be useful for estate agency average costs:

http://www.boutemy.net/index_ang.html

Not really much of an expert on this kind of stuff but I highly reccomend a trip over, really cheap flight to nearby from Stansted to Toulon-Hyeres, a relatively new private airport about 10 mins away, you need to get a look round the town etc, In summer it's glorious, in winter when we're back in UK most things close, much like the rest of the SoF, dont know much about Port napoleon but Capitainerie in PG speak english as do most places, they will be able to advise better on spaces, i'm almost certain there is though!

if you are down in summer just PM me and I can give you a walking tour of the immediate area if you want.

have i missed anything out? Probably, far too late for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B175Chris

Visit site
Have a good time, It's perfect for what we're into, aka lazing around on the private beach and cleaning the boat all day /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nigel Mansell and kylie live round the corner as well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dont think I'm around until August but do let me know how you get on

Cheers

Chris

alorwin

Visit site
Just got back from a 2 month stint in the med and had wifi signal problems myself. I foumd a shop that sold wifi signal booster aerials for 34 euros and they are great. It is an omni directional 5db gain(they did sell directional) , approx 9 inches long and it also came with a usb adaptor . I was receiving one intermittent network before and received 5 after. I then attatched it via a 3metre extension cable and hung it outside, I then received 13 networks (only 2 open though). Since returning to uk I have entered WIFI AERIAL into ebays search and there are many available @£5-£7 It is so impressive that I am now buying a 14db gain one to mount permanent , these seem to range from £40-£70 on ebay which is much better than the 219 euros quoted in spain . If you decide to take this path remember you will need the usb adapter as all the aerials have a screw in plug/socket but another advantage is the adapter replaces the laptops built in modem so you can use it to get wifi on an older laptop that does not have built in wifi , these are around £10 on ebay.When searching for wifi aerial be aware that there are 2 types , one for wifi (internet) and the other for wireless networks ie sharing printers and suchlike.

sarabande

Visit site
Order a Repeatit SU from Wifi Spark. It reads up to 5km away. Phenomenal increase in signal strength.

I have one and pick up fifteen hot spots with it, and only two when it's disconnected.

www.wifispark.com

Usual disclaimers.

Captain_Cava

Visit site
I've just ordered a Hawking high powered USB wireless-G adaptor from Maplin. I've no idea if it's any good. Does anyone out there have any experience of them?

alorwin

Visit site
Boat next to me brought the hawkins mini sattelite dish looking booster . He said it was £40-£50 from Maplins. Between us we spent 4 days trying to sort it out/ use it/ install it /contemplating drowning it. It was so bad /useless that I can only assume it was a faulty unit . Would be very interested in hearing your verdict as it did look the part and its claims are quite impressive and assuming his was faulty , a working model would be great bit of kit. It is a directional model so at its best it may still be tedious to set up unless you know where the elusive signal is coming from. Save the receipt , you never know.

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Not too sure that I understand what I require.

First I have a Dell laptop with an onboard wifi card & knowing that the dell systems are notoriously difficult to use with outside hardware, do I just put up an aerial & connect to a USB port? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
or do I have to load on some software/drivers??

poter