Wide Beam Retirement

Bouba

Visit site
Good morning, thanks for letting me join. I am licky enough to be able to retire in approximately a year and my plan is to buy a widebeam to cruise and live aboard. I have only ever been on a canal boat holiday so my experience is zero. I am starting to do my homework now in preparation.
What I would like is to find permanent moorings somewhere in the South or South East of England with the ability to cruise the Southern network. I will have a purchase budget of approximately £185,000. I am considering having a boat built and have been drawn to the Collingwood style boats but I think a new one is a little above my budget. So firstly can you recommend alternative builders to look at with similar Collingwood stylings also can you advise of a reputable boat broker that will be able to source suitable moorings and boats should I choose to buy used? Thanks in advance. Ian
If you want to retire on the inland waterways in a big boat...go to France!!....The rivers and canals are fabulous, the scenery, the size and so many things to do and visit

V1701

Visit site
If you want to retire on the inland waterways in a big boat...go to France!!....The rivers and canals are fabulous, the scenery, the size and so many things to do and visit

100% but for the OP, without residency or long stay visa you're on 90/180 if on a UK passport...

Bouba

Visit site
It’s easy to buy a canal/river boat in France...lots of ex hire boats or converted huge barges over 100 years old.

Bouba

Visit site
I have tied up my canal boat...walked 100 meters and swam in the Mediterranean. Inland boating in France is a real adventure and wonderful....plus there are berths available. And the network is vast...you can go anywhere....tie up..walk to the top of Sancerre....drink the best wine in the world... and take a taxi back to the boat....or go to a different country altogether

Bouba

Visit site
I’ve sat on my flybridge and white horses have leaned over to nuzzle you....seen cat fish over six foot long...seen the canal so thick with fish that you feel you could walk to the other side without getting your feet wet...and the fish so aggressive they constantly bang on the hull....seen stunning Burgundy towns...drunk beer in canal side marquee where huge rates scurry around your feet..

ryanroberts

Visit site
Similarly to lumpy water marinas, there's a lot of unofficial liveaboards. You may want something a little more secure as a retirement plan however.

About the best bit of the country to get stuck in with a widebeam is the NE if you want to cruise at all. Gets you the Trent / Nene / Calder / Leeds & Liverpool / Ouse / Messing about in the wash. Nottingham marina is liveaboard tolerant..

westernman

www.devalk.nl
About the best bit of the country to get stuck in with a widebeam is the NE if you want to cruise at all. Gets you the Trent / Nene / Calder / Leeds & Liverpool / Ouse / Messing about in the wash. Nottingham marina is liveaboard tolerant..
May be even better if you change country. E.g. France.

DownWest

Visit site
It’s easy to buy a canal/river boat in France...lots of ex hire boats or converted huge barges over 100 years old.
Just locally, a UK lady had a canal boat in GRP. Used it as her 'cottage' in France. Never moved it, just left it in a local town on the Charente. She had health probs, so eventually put it up for sale. Engine was U/S, but I looked at it, a Vetus, and thought 'Fuel'. It was not big, but had two double cabins with a raised deckhouse between them. Went for €6.5K....
Other friends have a 40 ft grp 'narrow boat' for sale at Cognac for around €7K.
It can be done on a budget. Not to mention nice surroundings..

Bouba

Visit site
If you want to go ex-hire boat...there are really only a handful of companies, like Le Boat...that have fleets. They always have inventory for sale on their website...but these boats change hands multiple times getting cheaper in the process. If you go on their sites you can see all the different range of boats they have including specifications...that way you know what models and size you are looking for

DownWest

Visit site
Oh, I forgot.
Few of us were having a pic-nic by the Charente. There was a pontoon mooring close by and I saw a small cruiser coming in, so went to take her lines. About 20ft, typical
small grp mobo. 9hp 4T outboard. Turns out they were a UK couple and the boat was their little summer cottage in France. Very neatly organised for the length. Had a fridge under the helm position and a full cockpit tent. They put it on the hard for the winter while in UK, then wandered along the Charente in the summer. Life could be a lot worse....

DownWest

Visit site
Then, Friend in Rochefort Marina lives on an 80ft steel Dutch barge. Built as as really nice residencial boat, not a conversion. Two 130hp main engines and a stonking 65 hp bow thruster. At 20 ft beam, a bit big for many of the canals, so he bought a little used grp one near Dijon to see that area. Bought it up to his VERY high standards and had some fun. But, recent health probs make him think to 'go ashore', so lkely both are up for sale.

Jegs

Visit site
I an in need of some help, but the reverse of th OP's situation. I am planning to sell my Linssen, which is berthed in Burgundy, & was hoping to advertise in 'Fluvial.' Could anyone advise of an alternative publication which might have a similar reach?

Hopeful thanks,
John G