Why you shouldn't buy a Lowrance LVR-250 DSC VHF

maxi77

Visit site
I support the idea and principles of DSC, but do find that in the Solent there are too many alarms from the set. The real problem is that unless I'm sat next to the set, I can't read the small text that tells you what type of message is being received. I know that there are diffent alarm sounds for different types of message, but often I don't hear it clearly enough. I'd consider changing to a set with a command mic in the cockpit, but do these display the necessary information?

Rob.

The alarms are sometimes annoying, especially when you get froggy ones as you approach Gijon in spain. You really do need a command mic in the cockpit to deal with them and certainly the SH one has an excellent ammount of info on the display, like the rest of their kit excellent

Boathook

Visit site
The alarms are sometimes annoying, especially when you get froggy ones as you approach Gijon in spain. You really do need a command mic in the cockpit to deal with them and certainly the SH one has an excellent ammount of info on the display, like the rest of their kit excellent

My icom M423 with its command mic repeats all the radio data and the controls / display is the same. A nice bit of kit that I'm still learning about. Only problem is that the command mic display is too small but to make it bigger wouild require a bigger command mic.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
Or a small number of amateur sailors that are resistant to change?

Probably a lot of the same ones who go on about having had the same mobile phone for 10 years and don't see why their windows 95 computer needs updating...

Well, I AM an amateur sailor in the sense that I have always sailed for pleasure and never professionally. This does not mean, however, that I am averse to change. I am all for change when I am convinced that a new method is better but I am not one who is for 'change' simply for the sake of change. Many of the changes that I have made to my boat as well as the method of implementing them are testimony to my sense of innovation - as is also the fact that I was actually paid for some of them by sailing journals (among them PBO). The same applies to things concerning engineering production.

As for mobile phones, my two descendants make it a point of having the latest i-thing that is available, especially my daughter who seems to be an incorrigible Apple supporter. For me, at age 65 and long retired, a phone is simply a convenient gadget whereby one can make and receive calls or messages. I have one old Nokia that is for normal use. I also have an ancient one, the old blue 3310 (?), that is reserved for sailing. The reason for hanging on to this particular gadget is that the screen is perfectly legible out in the cockpit with the sunlight blazing down. The 'new' ones, the ones that have a colour screen besides all the other bells and whistles, might just as well have a blank screen given the climatic conditions of where I sail; short of dashing below to where there is some shade, I cannot read what is on them unless I cup my hand around the screen and peek between my fingers. Should I 'upgrade' to something more modern?

lustyd

Visit site
That's a very short-sighted view. DSC for non-emergency calls makes a great deal of sense - helps to keep the voice channels free and reduces the risk of errors. The problem with DSC for non-emergency traffic is the design of most radios - entering an MMSI number by repeated turns and clicks of a stepped knob is a real pain. We went out of our way to select a radio with a full numeric key-pad - calling another boat or shore station is no more difficult than dialing a phone number.

Do you also dial phone numbers manually still? Every DSC radio on the market has a phone book feature so there is rarely a need to type the number in. If you have AIS hooked up you don't even need to "dial" the number of passing ships, you can just "click to call".

maby

Visit site
Do you also dial phone numbers manually still? Every DSC radio on the market has a phone book feature so there is rarely a need to type the number in. If you have AIS hooked up you don't even need to "dial" the number of passing ships, you can just "click to call".

The "phone book" on our radio is limited to around a dozen entries - I have friends and sailing companions in there, but don't have room for everyone in the marina.

AIS "click to call" is pretty much limited to a small range of compatible equipment - there are no standard NMEA message formats to support it, so it is always done with bespoke messages and there is no compatibility across equipment manufacturers. I have Lowrance plotters and a Simrad radio - both from the same company - but no "click to call".

l'escargot

Visit site
Good job you are sat at a computer keyboard intead of anywhere that your opinions could make a difference.

Afraid your wrong there - I'm sat on a 38 foot sailing boat posting on an iPhone, I've been out since last week. How about you? At least if you're sat on a computer, you will know where you are if you need to call for help, unlike if you were on a boat...

I don't understand your aversion to using available safety equipment that increase your chances of survival when it all goes tits up. Why not just go the whole hog and not have a VHF either, or lifejackets, or flares and you can quietly disappear. Darwinism weeds out those with the inability to survive.

Last edited:

Supine Being

Visit site
Should I also be forced to buy a GPS to go with my DSC radio?

No one's forcing you. AFAIK you can use your DSC radio as a non-DSC radio if you don't bother to program it with your MMSI number. If you do program it with the MMSI number but don't connect it to a GPS, the position will be filled with 9s all the way, although you will still have the option to manually enter your position if you press the red distress button.

Croak

www.yotblog.com
I don't understand your aversion to using available safety equipment that increase your chances of survival when it all goes tits up. Why not just go the whole hog and not have a VHF either, or lifejackets, or flares and you can quietly disappear. Darwinism weeds out those with the inability to survive.

Poverty

Croak

www.yotblog.com

I have been sailing for over 30 years and not needed any of that stuff yet.

I only have an aversion to folks like you, telling me what to do. I like to be free to make my own decisions and spend my limited resources on what I think is best.

Not that it adds any weight to my argument but I was sailing my boat last week (lake no radio)and will be sailing it next week (sea, handheld).No Iphone I will be enjoying the scenery.

I consider an Iphone to be a computer. Does it have a keypad?

Last edited:

Croak

www.yotblog.com
Computer:-An electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.

l'escargot

Visit site
I have been sailing for over 30 years and not needed any of that stuff yet.

I only have an aversion to folks like you, telling me what to do. I like to be free to make my own decisions and spend my limited resources on what I think is best.

Not that it adds any weight to my argument but I was sailing my boat last week (lake no radio)and will be sailing it next week (sea, handheld).No Iphone I will be enjoying the scenery.

I consider an Iphone to be a computer. Does it have a keypad?
i have been sailing for over 40 years and I have never needed a lifejacket, flares or a radio, but I still have them.

I am not telling you what to do. I am expressing an opinion. You are clearly of the opinion that it is prudent to take a VHF out with you, my opinion (which is probably more widely held than yours) is that it is outdated and DSC is a far better option that is freely available - a tar barrel is probably cheaper than flares but you would be a fool to go to sea with one because you're skint.

An iPhone isn't a computer and nor does it have a keyboard or keypad - you really need to brush up on your technology - the world is moving on without you..

You may as well get rid of your VHF if you can't keep up with changing technology as it will only give you a false sense of security, soon there will be no one out there listening to it - it will be about as much use as a set of signal flags.