Why go to the Med?

MapisM

Visit site
Wow, that's indeed a beautiful spot. Somewhere up north, by chance?
I'm only familiar with the southern / southeastern UK coast, and just a bit of Wales, I must admit.

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
SWMBO had to give me a hard slap across the face today when I suggested buying a little 24" cruiser for toddling up and down the Thames. Still I'm keeping my tan up until I get back on the Bertram at the end of August. It'll probably be biblical strength rain for the whole of September and October when we get out there again.

taz

Visit site
Wow, that's indeed a beautiful spot. Somewhere up north, by chance?
I'm only familiar with the southern / southeastern UK coast, and just a bit of Wales, I must admit.

Trearddur Bay on Holy Island which is on the NW side of Anglesey in Wales.

Land of the infamous Mr Kawasaki.

Last edited:

oGaryo

Visit site
Though it's that cold you will probably need to have your nads surgically re-lowered.:eek:

_54032984_f7668718-d432-4fb2-ac4f-1ef9d857159e.jpg

I used to live in a 16th Century building overlooking this bay next door to a yacht club BEFORE I ever thought of owning a boat... what a lost opportunity especially considering the Gulf stream nipped in to the place

Findhorn+Bay+Aerial+for+email.jpg

Last edited:

taz

Visit site
I used to live in a 16th Century building overlooking this bay next door to a yacht club BEFORE I ever thought of owning a boat... what a lost opportunity especially considering the Gulf stream nipped in to the place

Findhorn+Bay+Aerial+for+email.jpg

That's amazing............where is it?

oldgit

Visit site
Ouch Ouch Ouch.... %$*** ....Nice crop of jellyfish again this year !

"Do tell, is there somewhere around the UK where you can enjoy a proper swim? "

There is loads of places....but we do not have to fight through a layer of jellyfish and their stinging tentacles to go for a swim. :)

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site

There is loads of places....but we do not have the dive through a layer of jellyfish and their stinging tentacles to go for a swim. :)

I've seen more big jellyfish in the UK than I have in the Med.

Cheers
Jimmy

oGaryo

Visit site

There is loads of places....but we do not have to fight through a layer of jellyfish and their stinging tentacles to go for a swim. :)

I had the misfortune of swimming off the coast of Tunisia whilst a ship disposed of its waste in the ogin... tampax ahoy, swim for yer lives!!!! it was pretty disgusting

MapisM

Visit site
LOL, it seems that I struck a nerve with my comment...
No worries folks, I did post clips of my last couple of swims, but I never pretended that there aren't better places elsewhere on earth.
Looking forward to seeing yours! :)

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Yer,you may have well seen bigger ones but at least you can spot them,its the zillions of babby ones around the calas close to Cal d Or which will leave a lasting memory. :)
Not all of the Med is infested with jellyfish. Certainly the W Med is blighted by them but I have yet to see one single jellyfish in over 3 seasons in Croatia. I think thats because the water temp is a couple of degrees colder and pollution is not so widespread. Jimmy is right though. I have never seen the enormous Portugese Man o' War type jellyfish in the Med that you sometimes see in the E Channel and elsewhere round the UK.

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
We've considered movng our boating activity to the med but to be honest what has stopped us thus far is the bother of flying, airport hell and the inconveinience of travelling back and forth. The 'door' to 'door' time is unattractive. Perhaps when I'm retired it would become more time viable with mid week travel and staying on board for min of a week or two at a time. For now the 2hr door to door time when the weather presents itself is so convienient. Last minute decisions pop in the car, two nights on the water and home, no fuss, no airport hell.

oldgit

Visit site
We've considered movng our boating activity to the med but to be honest what has stopped us airport hell.

Best solution is to suck up to mates who have a boat down there,they get all the grief and expense of keeping the thing 2000 miles away and you get to grace their boat whenever you like because they get so desperate for company. :):):)