Why do you go to sea?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Drowned rat

Well certainly wouldn't have been me who pulled you out, and as for half cooked lobster, no chance!

Buy them from lovely supermarkets where they're already days old, just doesn't seem quite the same, maybe I'll post you one (second class of course, timed for the hottest days of the summer).

How far out to sea did you get b4 being picked up by this misguided good samaritan? And surely if you wanted to meet your maker you'd have been better off jumping into a furnace? <G>

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
I just love boats. Started messing about in boats at 16 with a little Fletcher 129 and a 45 HP motor that a friend of mine had in Portmadoc. Skiing / Girls / Beach BBQ's / Camping out on the beach - the whole damn shabbang!. Had the bug ever since. Now at the age of 45 (with wife & 3 kids) I have a Shakespear 17ft with 100 Hp and I still go skiing and just love to drive the boat around - still in Portmadoc, now with static caravan also. I am a member of the local yacht club and the sailing chaps frequently ask "when are going to grow up and get a proper boat"? Well I'm not sure that growing up and me are at all suited. Ambition to get a motor cruiser some day and run it down to the Med. Like others on this post, I can spend all day just tinkering with boats even if the weather is too poor to go out.

As Ratty said to Mole in the Wind-in-the-Willows, "there is nothing half so fine as just messing about in boats".

And there I rest my case.

At the end of the game, the King and the Pawn go back in the same box.

BarryD

Visit site
I don't at the moment. But not for the lack of debt or trying.

I blame SWMBO (I am as HLB says allowed to do that) totally. Nuff said.

So you unscrew this, and put it safely here, then oopps...
All - IMHO, BTW, FWIW and NWGOI

MapisM

Visit site
Why not?

To me, the main point is: do you have any better alternatives?
I share your passion for diving, therefore I can imagine how sad it is to be forced above the waterline.
But you can still find beautiful snorkeling spots around the globe, which would be hardly reachable without a boat.
Besides, sitting on the boat watching your friends diving is frustrating for sure.
But again, it's a matter of alternatives. I'd be much more frustrated staying at home THINKING about my friends diving...
All the very best for a full recover from your accident.

oldgit

Visit site
Re:good ole george(screw the world)) bush

The mood the USA is in at the moment, that nice Mr bush is going to need all the the friends he can get when that old share deal fiddle from 10 years ago catches up with him.

And the weather for the weekend is...............

mtb

Visit site
Re: its all xxllocks

Yes I agree , Intelligence is a state of mind , now think about that .
No realy it is
Most people falsly believe them selves to be intelligent .
If they had to actualy think fast and on their toes so to speak then what !!.
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v / cheap or swap for tug

claymore

Visit site
Re: its all xxllocks

Trying to decide on that one - I think it's more awareness than intelligence. Environmental awareness for example is what keeps survivors alive - awareness to changing conditions and appropriate steps taken to meet new and changing demands. There's a guy I knew called Colin Mortlock who was a great exponent of the outdoors and wrote an excellent book, the Adventure Alternative - his theories make much sense.

regards
Claymore

andrewbarker

Visit site
Bad luck about the accident. When you start to convalesce I suggest you start with little dives & a bit of exercise - you can go under my boat with a little brush if you like.
I go to sea for myself - nothing and no-one else. I don't really believe anyone goes out to "get away" from something else - that's a negative & there are 10000 cheaper things to do. I go for a) freedom b) challenges. You know, that feeling when the horizon opens up & you get out of site of land. You get a much better perspective of who & what you are, i.e. not so terribly important. Also challenges as in surrogate activities for us devalued males. I took a small single engined boat over to Guernsey single handed last year. Planned it to death & then ran into fog with no radar. But I got there & got back. (Actually came back in a F4 & spend 2 hours off IOW trying to screw back on all the doors before SWMBO saw the mess). Absolutely nothing to do with trying to impress - anyone with a boat could appear a lot more flash in an everyday sense if they didn't throw money at the boat & spent it on sensible goodies.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Andrew, one of my first trips across to Alderney and Cherbourg was also single handed in my single engined boat, don't know about you but I was always listening for changes to the engine note. Just before getting to Alderney, about 4 miles out my fuel filter clogged and I had to reduce speed to just above the speed of the tide, which of course was against me!

That was probably my best trip across, met some good people and enjoyed some of the best weather of that year.

I have started diving again, rather cautiously, and funnily enough my first time back in the water a month or so back was to scrub my hull and check out someone elses. Nothing changes!!

stamfordian

Visit site
Got intrested in boating on local river ,first "boat" was the local villagers TIN BATHS, these were great for traveling down the river in....rapids and all!!.Ok i was only seven and everyhing looks big at that age!!