Why do the majority prefer SOL over the VOR Game

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
I'm puzzled over this. A lot of the comments seem to centre round the fact that the Vovlo Ocean Race Game, to be in the front, depends on buying enhanced features for the boat. Like Auto wind direction, Sail repair etc.

At the present time the overall leader in the Volvo Ocean Race Game is just under 500 miles from the goal. In the SOL, according to the reports on the forum, one of the YBW boats is within spitting distance of finishing.

Is that because the SOL is easier, eg no 'Ice Gate' waypoints to leave on starboard?

I've seen various screen shots over the last few weeks of boats managing to tranvers island overland, is that a hiccup in the SOL system.

I'm just intrigued.

WayneS

Visit site
I think that Ice Gates is the answer. In Sol we were able to head down to 70S which shortened the course somewhat.

Maybe we are just better sailors on SOL /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think that you will find that a lot of people gave up with the VORGame during leg1 when it had so many issues.

Cheers

RivalRedwing

Visit site
For me it was nothing to do with ice gates; and, as I recall, only one incident of a flying boat (it was a very small island!). It was all about buying items to improve performance - VOR did not present a level playing field. SOL, in my view, gave me a better interface and didn't try to rob me in order to enable me to compete with the rest of the pack.

WayneS

Visit site
Sorry, the IceGates point was in response to

"At the present time the overall leader in the Volvo Ocean Race Game is just under 500 miles from the goal. In the SOL, according to the reports on the forum, one of the YBW boats is within spitting distance of finishing."

Not a reason why SOl is better (by far) than VOR. And I agree, I only recall 1 ocurrence of someone jumping over land. And as I recall, this was due to very busy servers and very small land, so one update was before the land, and one after.

Now if you balance these (this) issue against the frustrations of the official game it is easy to understand why we all enjoy many hours on SOL.