Why do shore hose connectors always leak ?

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Interestingly, and I do lead a sheltered life, I have never seen a bayonet water fitting in a marina or boat yard - the taps all have screw fittings as the nozzle, I think imperial, and one of 2 sizes (so we carry the 2 different sizes).

No-one has commented on the bayonet fittings, not one mention. Yet Snowgoose, the OP, mentions them as if he thinks they are common place - I'm simply intrigued as I've never seen one. Bayonet gas fittings, yes, but not for water, or not water pipes of the size we use.

PTFE is dismissed, despite at least 3 posters using the tape with success, as being totally redundant in favour of a rubber washer that apparently for some last for ever, does not perish, never cracks nor is simply lost and the plastic fitting that screws to the tap also lasts for ever despite being much less resistant to abrasion than the tap.

Everyone seems to use a garden hose to connect tap to yacht - even though garden hoses would not meet approval. Chrome Dome made a refreshing change. We used a John Guest standard hosepipe 12mm, white for our fresh water supply from shore to cat, we had a green one for salt water (and red and blue, and green for salt water, for domestic plumbing in/on the cat). The Guest metric hosepipe needs converters for imperial fittings (and was a devil to handle being a hard plastic).

Jonathan
While our marina used what-ever-hose-was-on-offer, it commonly was transparent, reinforced PVC.

Imagine water sitting inside being treated by the climate, exposed to the sun etc. An excellent biological experiment, interesting flavours and potentially galloping express passages towards the sanitary facilities.

Edit: When each person brings his own preferred, it only takes fitting one part to the hose. The rest will be whatever he already uses on connecting devices.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Hozelock is not intended for 2Bar pressure (30inches) as pressure on garden hose drops once nozzle open. Many water feeds - though sadly not at my house - are 3Bar and can blow off Hozelock as an engineering friend complained to me today about his garden cabin system. Genuine Hozelock all round with new o rings and clean connector surfaces might however get it all to work

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Came across some brass taps last week that had such short spouts that the hozelock male part couldn't be screwed on far enough to get the rubber washer to seal. Managed to find a brass fitting on another tap with a much shorter threaded part that worked fine