Why are Oyster Yachts so expensive?

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Apart from ALL the stuff (pipework/cabling/etc) below the deck being properly labelled when you lift a cover up....
Ooo..... everything labelled...even the wiring?... just like my Beneteau... does that mean I can add a zero to the price?... ah no... sod it... forgot that the Marketing Manager doesn't belong to a Royal Yacht club, so doesn't need a six figure salary... damn....

Ah well... at least I can still go to a boat show to watch Oyster owners money being spent on bouncers and champagne for minor celebs....

:D

sailorman

Visit site
Ooo..... everything labelled...even the wiring?... just like my Beneteau... does that mean I can add a zero to the price?... ah no... sod it... forgot that the Marketing Manager doesn't belong to a Royal Yacht club, so doesn't need a six figure salary... damn....

Ah well... at least I can still go to a boat show to watch Oyster owners money being spent on bouncers and champagne for minor celebs....

:D

champagne for minor celebs..

i had never had that view of myself:p

Nautorius

Visit site

CBL

Visit site
This thread may be old but I have just found it and feel I should post ........

I have sailed many thousands of miles in Oyster's over the past 12 years as professional crew from 53's through to 82's, and have listened to many an owners opinion of the marque. The best analogy that I can remember came from the owner of a new 56 (3rd Generation) when during a particularly gnarly night mid Biscay, I asked the question "why an Oyster when you could have bought absolutely anything else" the answer came back immediately " because it is the equivalent to a Range Rover on water". That night I had to agree with him !.

I have been berthed alongside many other European (and in fact British) built Yachts in the Med and could not but help notice that our deck gear was massive compared to theirs, ie on a 56 our secondary winches were the same as the 64 foot boat's (builder not mentioned) primaries beside us. The same goes for the rigging where I estimate the Oysters was 2mm at least larger and also the Genoa Cars..... The list goes on !

900 -1200 litre diesel capacity on a 56 foot boat sure as hell helps with extended cruising range too eh ?

Anyway now I am starting to ramble :)

Chris

Fintan

Visit site
'Cos they are better!

Check out how many times Jeanneaus fall apart on an Atlantic crossing. Rudders and internal cabinets etc. are prone to the tough environment of ocean sailing. Jeanneaus are fab for local coastal racing and cruising but Oysters are top for blue water ocean sailing in luxury.

Signed Out

Visit site
£1million for something made in Ispwich!!!

I mean, come on!

Now you've hurt my feelings...

As for Oyster; I suppose if you really like AWBs- they all look the same to me, and not so different to so many other marques.

But then
|
|
|
\/

tcm

Visit site
I know they have a fantastic reputation for quality and sturdiness, but is 1 Oyster really worth 3 Jeanneaus?

Agree with the sentiment. I once looked in very close detail at their accounts, and it's all contracted out - so there's plenty of 40% profit and then their 40% on top. Worse, i had a close look around the companionway at a 655 and there's crummy A2 screws. They also use the same fittings as beneteau. Can't argue with the lack of depreciation. But the same money new buys a better (dutch/german) built boat. I don't go for the snooty cr ap at boat shows.

Sailfree

Visit site
Not sure the compaisons are correct

43 Jeanneau £200K 43 Oyster (if they made one) most likey circa £750k.

Someone mention Renault v Aston Martin

Renault £18-20k Aston Matin £100k?

As the fight about grey markets in luxury goods proved some costs are there to keep the product a "perceived" quality. Reality is something else.

Sybarite

Visit site
If you're looking at Duch boats, these are also very nice.
Sail well and easier on the eyes. The Bestevaer boats, capable though they are, look just butt ugly to me.

I didn't know these boats but they are superb, especially the 44' and the 48' with their cockpit shelters. These seem to have the same approach as Maurice Griffith designed for Kylix, his own retirement boat : a cuddy you can sit under or stand and look over. It's such a simple and sensible solution for comfortable sailing.

http://www.eventides.org.uk/images/Kylix3.JPG

(Can't ever forgive him though for designing the Atlantic Clipper 36)

However if I am being reasonable, my dream boat would probably be about 35 - 36 feet; small enough to handle myself, large enough for comfort and still able to get into those little picturesque fishing harbours. The Sirius 35 DS gets pretty close.

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/reviews/boats/1/128249/sirius-35ds

Last edited:

dabsolute470

www.coverdalegroup.co.uk
dont shatter our dreams of having an oyster....
we are motor boaters and our plan is to retire and buy an oyster then sail off for a few years while we still have our health.
imho they are the best sail boats we have seen and still have the dream....lol
maybe there are faster ones but we want the long distance ability with comfort and safety being the most important aspect.