Whose boat ? - she's taking on water

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
If this was in our harbour, everyone around would have got on board pumped her out and tried to either get her ashore or fix the leak enough not to sink.

When a seacock started leaking on my boat that's exactly why the other folk did.

Unbelievable that this hasn't happened here, or the harbour master sorted it and phoned the owner. I guess that's the south coast for you.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
No name was visible: it was a private drying mooring not a harbourmasters one. But late this afternoon three people came aboard and pumped her, and have just motored her over to a deep water harbourmasters mooring.

And the logic of that is?

If there is a slow leak, then she's better off staying on her drying mooring where she will be easier to recover if the leak gets worse and she sinks. Now she's on a deep mooring, if she sinks it's a divers and floatation bags job.

Madness.

jwilson

Visit site
And the logic of that is?

If there is a slow leak, then she's better off staying on her drying mooring where she will be easier to recover if the leak gets worse and she sinks. Now she's on a deep mooring, if she sinks it's a divers and floatation bags job.

Madness.

Don't think it was a slow leak: she was fine when she arrived on that (unsuitable) mooring just a few days ago. Think it was a downhill 50 degree heel on drying that let some in the cockpit before she floated. Could be that each tide she collected a cockpit-seating side full of water that then went into the well and bilges as she floated and righted.

This is a big busy harbour with lots of boats (from big ships to many many yachts) and unlike small places we don't know everyone else. She needed taking to a marina or deep water berth, either of which cost substantial daily rates, and the owner could well have not found her when he (as he did) turned up this afternoon....

I thought posting here gave a fair chance someone might have recognised the boat and known the owner to tell him.