Whose boat ? - she's taking on water

jwilson

Visit site
Moored just off the Greenbank at Falmouth, on a drying mooring where she dries at LW at a considerable angle, a quite pretty little fin-keeler (maybe a Cheverton) is definitely taking on water - photo at http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/P1040500.jpg

Did not look as low in the water yesterday. Anyone know who the owner is?

sailorman

Visit site
A sad sight, cant somebody get to her & check & or bail / pump her

P1040500.jpg

Gone sailing

Visit site
I don't believe it is a Cheverton.
Nice boat. If it were in my harbour I'd break into her and bail her out.
She looks well looked after. Hope it gets sorted soon.

michael_w

Visit site
Maybe the Falmouth Harbour Master can tear himself away from fleecing the visitors and look after the residents. "Not my problem, Health and Safety don't allow me to go afloat in anything other than my very expensive launch"

robmcg

Visit site
If anyone is local, I would get on board and pump her out PDQ. Am sure the owner would be nothing but grateful. If not, I will pay for a new washboard padlock for them!

Rob

Dazedkipper

Visit site
Not wishing to belittle the situation but I always understood that if a vessel was 'taking on water' it was an intentional act such as filling tanks, if she was 'taking in water' it was unintentional and she was basically sinking. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

rogerboy

Visit site
Maybe the Falmouth Harbour Master can tear himself away from fleecing the visitors and look after the residents. "Not my problem, Health and Safety don't allow me to go afloat in anything other than my very expensive launch"

what a shame people think like this,you should be ashamed of yourself,

simonfraser

Visit site
only reason she has not sunk yet is the bilge pump / battery and the fact she dries out, but that is not going to last.
rather than breaking in and bailing, which wont fix the leak, tow her to the beach / hard at high tide ?

Sailingsaves

Visit site
Why has she taken the ground?

Is she not a long keeler? Therefore should she not be moored whee she would not take the ground?

Hope someone helps before the boat is ruined; looks a beauty. She needs some of the YAPPs that talk to the owner when owner is away.

jwilson

Visit site
There is little I could do - whatever is causing her to take on/in water is unlikely to be fixable just by going aboard, breaking in and bailing/pumping. At best that gives another tide's worth of delay to sinking.

Either the drying heel angle is such that she's letting water into a (probably non self-draining) cockpit which is then going into the bilges, or she has a planking leak - but that seems unlikely given the generally well sorted look of the hull. As she has not long arrived on this mooring I suspect the owner does not know how hard the mud is, or how much she will heel when dried every tide.

jwilson

Visit site
Do we know what the boat name is? May help trace the owner.

No name was visible: it was a private drying mooring not a harbourmasters one. But late this afternoon three people came aboard and pumped her, and have just motored her over to a deep water harbourmasters mooring.

All very well people saying do something - but what? If I HAD borrowed a RIB, towed her to the marina or a visitors mooring, and the owner then turned up to find her vanished.... Even once he found her, would he be happy to pay bills due for daily rate visitors moorings which if he was away for a middling period could be quite substantial ........

I have owned a small wooden boat, and had her sink on her muddy drying tidal river mooring. She spent four tides intermittently underwater before I could get aboard on the first of the flood and quickly patch the hole - she had sat on a tree branch that floated down the river and wedged under the bilge as she sat down in the mud. Once lifted out the hole in the bottom was quite handy to wash out the accumulated mud with a hose. Quite a lot of work to fix but little actual money apart from new cushions - no inboard, no electronics. The Seagull Century started first pull as usual after a good wash through and fresh fuel.