Who wants £50??????

neale

Visit site
Every time I go on someone's boat I see something that makes me say "Thats a good idea". It's these sort of things that end up on the back back of MBM as readers tips. Now I know deep down you lot are fairly typical boatowners, so you all must have something on your boat that would make a good tip.

Ideally we would like a few words about what you have done and why together with a picture. In return you get 50 beer tokens and your idea/picture in print. PM me or post in the forum.

Thanks

Neale

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
My tip

Typically an outboard motor only relies on the engine fuel filter to take any muck out of the fuel. This does not account for water (condensation) in the tank. There are only two things that can stop a modern outboard and thats fuel and sparks. Fitting plugs once a year is accepted practice. All sports boaters should fit an in-line separator / filter that bolts easily with two 8mm bolts onto the transom. Available from BSC Contracts in the midlands, they assure reliable fuel delivery and you do not get anything (let alone water) through to the engine.

Reliable boating assured for £50.

<hr width=100% size=1>Madoc Yacht Club
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk>http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk</A>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>I can take no credit for this as it was Tony's {boatone) idea. Because my freeboard is so high I had a problem getting on and off my boat going through locks or coming alongside a pontoon for the first time. This is how we solved it. I bought two large bow fenders, slung one each side of the boat with the bottom of the 'V' pointed down and the two arms strung to a suitable point. Bingo! I have an excellent step half way up the hull and added protection too.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

tcm

Visit site
Re: Top tip

My tip is is to think of an idea and send it to MBM. Don't spose this is worth £50 tho.

So, idea number 2 is buy MBY instead of MBM which has excellent articles, ahem.

Idea number three is sell the boat and use the money to buy a lifetimes subscription of both magazines, much cheaper than a boat.

Kindly forward 150 quid

<hr width=100% size=1>

EME

www.lumishore.com
Plagiarism

On the basis that I have followed this doctrine, i.e.loads of useless ideas but no intent towards purchase, I reckon that you owe me £ 150 plus appropriate damages.

By the way this month's MBY is an absolute hoot , however , I confess that I could have purchased 'Comedian's monthly' for less so Tom( as an EDITOR -in - chief) owes me £2-50.

To date I have also not been able to get my executive chair to recline in the prescibed manner as set out in the April edition , so will also be claiming refunds there.

Yours

The Miserable One

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue>I am WHAT I say I am</font color=blue>

cngarrod

Visit site
Talking of articles...

I see thismonths John matthews article is on that you put on here a few months ago wasn't it???

Was this so we could proof read it first then or what???

Cheers,

C

<hr width=100% size=1>

neale

Visit site
It was all going so well. I even had a sensible answer out of Byron! I will PM all those that contribute to this thread in a serious manner and will ignore all references to the "other" mag.

Neale

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Tutts knows how to convert everything into cloths lines. Even the anchor chain!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Do boat launching tips apply ?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

jfm

Visit site
Re: Plagiarism - dunno wot you mean

Paint each 2m of your anchor chain a different colour, using the colours in which snooker balls are potted. Then you will know how much chain you have out. Ooh heck......better DTH :) Please forward 2 cheques. £40 to me for suggesting this, £10 commission to tcm for thinking of a similar principle from which this idea is derived, ahem.

<hr width=100% size=1>

neale

Visit site
Happy1 - Yes certainly

JFM - Sorry already used that one. Borrowed from here last time it came up and paid the relevant people.

Neale

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
"Do boat launching tips apply ?"

OK, Answer :-

Sell the trailer and get a berth in a marina, save all that farting around and damage that can be caused by such a dangerous hobby as trailing !! (just as bad as caravaners blocking the already busy roads)

Please send my £50 to the RNLI

Thanks,

<font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

burgundyben

Visit site
drill a 6.5 mm hole horizontally through both the fitting and the flag pole that your ensign flies from, then, off to the chandlery for a drop nose pin of correct diameter say 6mm so you have a bit of clearance throught the hoel you drilled, the drop- nose pin will have a little hole in the end or a groove, tie a little peice of string to the pin and a wind the string round one of the screws that holds the fitting on the deck or some other useful place then slide the drop nose pin throught the hole, hey presto no more lost flags and poles and no fablon and 50 quid for me.

<hr width=100% size=1>"Who was he?"

BarryH

Visit site
Dunno if you've seen this one before. I've a single engined boat that uses petrol at a rate of knots! Insteadof carrying spare fuel in jerry cans to decant into the main tank, I've plumbed an outboard fuel connector into the spare fuel inlet on the fuel filter. When I run out or get low on fuel I just plug in an outboard tank to give me another30 litres. No funnels or syphon pumps or water getting into the main tanks. The connector is outside the engine conpartment so no trailing pipes. I've located it under the back seat in what was a gas locker. Its big enough to carry 2 outboard tanks giving me a extra 60 litres if needed. With a fuel tap in the line from the main tank to the filter, you can either run direct from the outboard tank with it in the off position or fill the main tank by leaving it in the on position.

Saves all the spills on I don't like messing about with petrol in open containers in a pitching boat! Thats my usless bit of information, any good to you.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

lanason

Visit site
So what does that make me - I have BOTH boat on trailer and a caravan !!

<hr width=100% size=1>Adrian
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/kelisha>More Pics of Kelisha</A> /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Sad ?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

Observer

Visit site
Re: Top tip

Hmmm. Tell us more about your eclectic music tastes:

"Sailing By", "the Bond theme", "Ride of the Valkyries", "William Tell Overture" and "a few national anthems". (Particularly interested in the last. Would that include The Marseillaise? Star Spangled Banner? God Save the Queen? or what?).

Is there a connection I'm missing? Or is this a schizophrenic mind at work?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Observer

Visit site
My alternative solution..

to the undoubted problem you described (I like to think mine is a little more elegant but in reality due to the undoubted fact that my engineering skill is not up to drilling two perfectly aligned holes in opposite sides of stainless steel tubing) was to work up a Turk's Head in thin cordage on a nearby stanchion, below the level of the flagstaff socket, leaving an appropriate length of line untrimmed at the upper end which is then made up on a small plastic cleat screwed to the flagstaff.

50 quid's worth? Yes please.

<hr width=100% size=1>