Sven Yrvind (at 72) does it again :D

yrvind-at-sea.jpg

45 days from Porto Santo to Martinique :rolleyes:

Full story here

Slow-steady-72-year-old-crosses-the-atlantic-in-no-rush

DanTribe

Visit site
What a great guy.
His philosophy seems to be that he makes voyages because he likes being at sea, not to get somewhere else fast.
He's a hero of mine, though I don't think I could cope with that lifestyle.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
but the teaspoon story

the teaspoon story on his blog is pretty unpleasant though

no keel to fall off as well

teaspoon story

November 28, 2011
THE SMALL BOAT SAILOR AND THE MARINE ENVIROMENT
The human body is designed to live ashore, but it is extremely adaptable. This ability to adapt decreases rapidly with age. I am now close to 73 years old and I was qurius how my imuno defens system would stand up to months of saltwater enviroment with no possibilitys to clean my body with freshwater and soap. Would I develop salt water sores?

To my satisfaction my skins bones and muscles was still functioning as they were meant to do. The only mistake I made was when leaving Kinsale to stock up with Irish scones which I like. This is nothing my stomach is used to, but I liked them and I kept eating them.

At the same time the wheather was awfull, the boat to heavy taking water over her all the time, and of course there is no bathroom aboard. I had planned to hang on the outside but the aft deck was constantly under water. I said this can wait untill tomorrow. When tomorrow came the wheather had not improwed. I said to myself there is an other tomorrow. Finally it had to be done. Now it was rock hard. It was impossible to mowe it. But it had to be done. My one and only spoon was a teespoon. With it I started to dig. Piece by piece I got the **** out. It took me three days to clear the passage and it was painfull. The operation had to be done from a rocking boat with me hanging on with one arm handling the spoon with my other, but fianally I could clean the spoon to use for musli and sardines again. Luckily one is imune to ones own bakteria.

On the passages from Madeira to Martinique I did not make the same mistake. Everything worked to perfection.

I arriwied in Martinique in perfect health happy in the knowledge that my age had not coused any problem, becouse being at sea is such a wonderful thing.

Regards Yrvind

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Blueboatman

Visit site
With so many successful 'seat of the pants' miles accomplished without bothering anyone else, I wonder what improvements he will build into the new boat. Apart from a bucket and maybe a second oar.

Genuine respect, there are very few people out there doing it without fanfair and facebook-as-you-go. Sounds like he enjoyed himself too. And designed a whole new boat-result!

Blueboatman

Visit site
Ex editor of YM, JDS wisely observed that most of us go to see in what we have/can afford!
You and I are here twittering and he's out there doin' it -result!

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
There's no point in enduring squalid discomfort if you dont have to do.

He seems happy, and that's all that really matters.

It wouldn't be my choice, but he's out there doing it, I'm sat looking at my computer screen....Is it worse to be sailing in the carribbean and put up with some discomfort, or sat staring at a computer going nowhere?

Here's what he had to say on the subject:

"One of the most frequently heard comments’ concerning my boat is that it is not comfortable. It is a very true statement. But I design and build boats and go to sea in them not for comfort but because I am curios and the activity gives me pleasure and excitement.

Comfort diminishes activity; lack of activity leads to lack of stimulation, without stimulation you become bored, fat and tired. You get energetic only by using energy, not by resting.

Eating and entertainment work like drugs or borrowed money, they lessens the boredom ordeal momentarily. In the long run they make the situation worse.

Strive on the other hand is painful at first, but as time passes will bring curiosity pleasure and excitement. The problem with that healthy solution is that it is to abstract for most people. Historically man has never had to worry about to much comfort and is therefore not designed to deal with it. On the contrary lack of food and rest has been the problem.

Modern society has changed that. Industrial and farm factories are now producing more than we need. Few free spirits has survived a new species of man has been breed, the obedient man. He eats not real food but ersatz food. His experiences are ersatz screen experiences.

It is so much easier to watch sport than to compete yourself. It is so much easier to do ersatz sailing and to start the engine when the wind fails than to use an oar or wait for wind. But like all ersatz things there is no thing like the real thing.

A captured animal in a zoo is not a happy animal. He tells us that without talking, still he gets plenty of food and good shelter and his life is without danger. Still he would rather bee free.

Modern man in the big cities are like captured animals. We have all the comfort and food we need, still we are bored. But because we live among millions of equally bored people we do not notice the gloom. Only occasionally do we meet a surviving free spirit and wonder why he is so happy. It is not comfort which makes me happy."

From his blog

Last edited:

Scotty_Tradewind

Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat, Galicia NW Spain
Visit site
" Who needs a big boat to cross the Atlantic?"

Anybody with any sense. There's no point in enduring squalid discomfort if you dont have to do.

Bosun - you are indeed a mischief!! :)
I bet Pete Goss wonders why you consider him not to have too much sense!

If you look back through BH's blogs it may be wondered if he's ever been out in a boat let alone gone to sea!
Perhaps become a little cabin feverish or on the other hand, .....passed it?
Yep That must be it. Just like the 70yr old who said to me this week "I only crew on very large yachts now due to the comfort"

Last edited:

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
I guess he is an example of how wide the array of motivations to go sailing can be
...shortest, longest, fastest, slowest, coldest, oldest, tubbiest...

I think he should be admired for being happy with what he accomplished, now and earlier during his life, but I personally would not find one single minute of happiness in his way

:)