Who makes decent deck shoes?

ari

Visit site
Always used to wear Sebego Docksiders, which were made in America. Then Sebago decided to outsource manufacture to the Dominican Republic and other places, quality went through the floor and, surprise surprise, prices stayed the same.

So gave up on them and switched to Dubarry, which were made in Ireland. Tried to buy a pair at the weekend and the quality and finish seemed rubbish compared to current pair. Looked inside, oh look, they're outsourcing abroad as well now. And, of course, the price of the shoes stays the same.

So is there anyone left that makes a decent pair of deck shoes?

Malabar

Visit site
Can't agree about Sebago docksiders. I had mine new in 1967 and worn them regualarly since. By last year the soles were worn through (but uppers etc were fine) and my wife made me throw them away. Surely a pair of deck shoes should last more than 43 years!

crewnow

www.crewnow.co.uk
Can't agree about Sebago docksiders. I had mine new in 1967 and worn them regualarly since. By last year the soles were worn through (but uppers etc were fine) and my wife made me throw them away. Surely a pair of deck shoes should last more than 43 years!

I think the issue is not with the old well made shoes but those cheaply made in far flung sweat shops. How long do you expect your new shoes to last and how long they will actually last?

Buy Local keep work local, your buying power today is tomorrows pension.

ari

Visit site
I think the issue is not with the old well made shoes but those cheaply made in far flung sweat shops. How long do you expect your new shoes to last and how long they will actually last?

Precisely that. Even more so when they think that banging the logo of a once quality manufacturer on the side means they can then price them like quality shoes...!

aquapower

Visit site
I allways have Quayside deck shoes, usually stock up at the boat shows.
I wear them for work every day and they can last well over a year if the soles dont wear out first.

sarabande

Visit site
Rockport. Seven years almost constant use, wet and dry, and the brass eyelets wore through before any other parts.

l'escargot

Visit site
Another vote for Chatham. Have found them to be consistently good and comfortable. Have even given them a quick whizz in the washing machine on a couple of occasions with no ill effect.

Last edited:

Ripster

Visit site
Another vote for Quayside - they last about year/18m and are relatively cheap to replace. Grippy soles and nice and comfy. I prefer em to Mustos that are twice the price.

Jim@sea

Visit site
Bought a cheap pair from Declathion 5 years ago. They have now gone up to £24.99.
On their website, bit difficult to find, but they are there.

Visit site
I still wear Sebagos every single day for work and still love the comfort factor from a pair of Clovehitch IIs.
But, I do agree that the quality does appear to be going downhill in the last couple of years.
That said, I also have a pair of Sebago Squall boots and they are brilliant. Best pair of deck boots I have owned and I seriously abuse them.

If I could readily get them in the UK, I would certainly be buying Sperry Topsiders which is a far lesser known brand of deck shoe. Well worth a look if anyone is going Stateside.

Morpheous

Visit site
Musto make an excellent deck shoe

I like the Mustos, so much in fact I bought 2 pairs! I have scruffy pair for when i'm doing jobs and nice pair for best. I have a foot cartilage thing going on and find it difficult to get comfy shoes. All the other deck shoes I tried on had no spring in the soles at all and that is a bit too harsh on my heels

Nigelhg

Visit site
Dubarry clippers are excellent- i've had mine 10+ years and you can even send them back to the factory to get resoled...the good ones are still made in Ireland. Gortex lined and have never leaked.

303hound

Visit site
chatham boots for messy work during the week and musto boots for the weekends!

picked the chatham boots for 40 notes on the bay, sadly i couldn't get the musto ones for 40!!

ari

Visit site
Dubarry clippers are excellent- i've had mine 10+ years and you can even send them back to the factory to get resoled...the good ones are still made in Ireland. Gortex lined and have never leaked.

Are you sure about that? I thought all Dubarrys were made abroad in cheap labour areas now.

tamarind

Visit site
Dubarry every time for their ultima boots but deckies Henri Lloyd are excellent even without wearing socks as proper leather inside