who had

duncan

Visit site
not quiet so fortunate (?) but was always facinated by water, fishing, building and using canoes, building and using a mirror, sticking seagull on siad mirror hull to fish, building yacht from bare hull and deck then watching the other guy sail off to the Virgin Islands ( /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) after we'd done Burnham and Ostend a couple of times to shakedown .........
then, many years later, I bought a dory package and went boating with the family ..........

subsequently
the worst training I had was a day skipper theory evening class thing - way to much theory for theories sake, far to focused on chart based navigation and exact tidal calculations

the best training I ever had (and still get) was expanding my horizons in company of more experienced (either generally or specific locality/trip) skippers. This included Solitaire (again!) and BrendanS (I had a faster boat then!) in Pathfinder PBC, a whole week trailaway in Plymouth with MBM, but is now more commonly with familar faces on here!

I am probably echoing others above when I conclude that taking (properly) experienced people out with your your own boat in your intended cruising grounds is the best way to learn. If they are a professional so much the better as 'teaching' is more than simply knowledge - all points to an ideal of doing a proper DS course over a couple of days or a week on your own 'new' boat when you get it - ideally including S(H)WMBO at their own pace.

Probably the only investment in your boating life guaranteed to give a return!

KevB

Visit site
Nope. Bought my first boat and had it delivered to Chichester marina. Went down every weekend for five weeks, started the engines but never actually moved it. In the mean time I did a lot of searching on the web for boat handling techniques. On the sixth weekend went down with another novice friend who untied the ropes without me knowing and said we're off. Easy peasy.
If when you are learning you do everything very slowly it needs a lot of effort and bad luck to damage anything. 5 years later, another boat and over 700 hours and haven't hit anything so must be doing something right?

kcrane

Visit site
Did Day Skipper/Comp Crew before starting to charter, then a few years later SWMBO and kids did Day Skipper on large mobo. We do the courses 'cos we enjoy it, not 'cos forced to.

Epirb23

Visit site
Only swimming lessons /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif then put in a duckling aged 7 and told to watch the tide or I'd be dragging it back /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif