whiffy toilet problem

ianainge

Visit site
my sea toilet which discharges into the sea whiffs, no matter how much bleach and disenfectant i use to clean it and all surrounding areas it still ends up smelling of wee any ideas how to cure this ?

gtmoore

Visit site
Could be quite a number of reasons but what cured a friend of mine's was a change of inlet and outlet hose. I think they leak odours when they get a bit older (even though they are still leak free). He changed his to a proper Vetus sanitary hose and it's been fine ever since.

HTH

Gavin

stamfordian

Visit site
Hi,
I ,ve got just the thing you need i,ve just bought some stuff for the lads at work cos we have large buildings with urinals...enough said.The stuff is called "EXOCET" it is a thrmo reactive drain cleaner works well and leaves a pleasent ouder.will give you phone no. of company tommorow if your interested.

p.s. its not a wind up ie exocet.

i,m sure i,am going to get flamed for this!!!

piratequeen

Visit site
Shouldn't you be thinking of fitting a holding tank in these days of environmental awareness? recently fitted one to our boat (well not me personally, Rich did it) for about £200

kghowe

Visit site
We try and flush with fresh water rather than use the sea water on my boat, a Targa. Our shower head mixer tap is easy to use and this seems to work for us. The only advice is to remember to switch it back to tap after using as a shower other wise one gets a get damp!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Ian, I had a whiffy boat problem until I changed all the inlet and outlet hoses on my toilet and holding tank system and this has cured the problem. Particularly if the boatbuilder has used bilge pump hose rather than sanitation hose, the hose becomes porous over time especially in lengths of hose where the sewage tends to accumulate. Just run your hand or a piece of paper towel along the hose and if you can smell the odour on your hand or the paper, then the hose is porous.
I also tried every odour potion I could find but nothing cured the problem until I changed the hoses

claymore

Visit site
It would be kinder to use ecover cleaning products rather than bleach and disinfectants.
The problem may well just be that the pipes need changing.

regards
Claymore

G

Ian stop pissing on the floor, although with the "early morning syndrome " that any red blooded male gets it is quite hard not to do it uphill and hit the pan, it usually calms down after trapping it in the toilet door for a few minutes!, seriously you might find that after all the years of use the old smell is ingrained into the mouldings and into the bilge area around the toilet compartment, try changing hoses and fit an inline purifier to the inlet hose, also the limescale that builds up in the outlet hose blockes the pipe and it traps a certain amount of you know what as well, fit a new hose this winter.

paul js.

KevL

Visit site
It could well be the hoses as others have suggested but I guess a Targa 31 comes equipped with a holding tank. If you've got it rigged to dump to sea (excuse the pun) there are caps over the holding holding tank connections aren't there?

--
Tides - Never there when you need one.
Wind - Always there when you don't.

KevL

G

One thing to consider is the possibiltiy of it being you're inlet hose. I suffered this problem on a new boat for 2 years (manufacturer couldn't fix it) until I started looking myself. The problem was that there was a low point in the supply hose which let sea water lie and fester while the boat was idle. the first time you used the loo after that, the boat stank of bad egg gas. Solution was simple - re route the pipe, it took 15 mins to do. Now it's all ok.
Dave G

Dave G