Which small outboard?

C08

Visit site
I wish to buy a used small outboard as a back up engine on my catamaran. A 6hp long shaft 2 stroke would be most suitable on account of the weight. My inclination is to look for a Tohatsu or Mariner as these are engines I know and have had good experiences with but what about Yamaha, Honda, Mercury and Suzuki, Johnson etc.

What engine should I be looking for and why?

I have discounted the newer brands such as Parsun, Hangkai etc as I have spoken to a few people who said they would not buy another!

aadams1x

Visit site
Hi, Had a quite a few outboards and personally like the Mariner / Mercury brand (Both the same engines) Something to be aware of is that the block on a 6hp long shaft is the same as the block on the 15hp... so with the weight being the same I would get the larger engine...

C08

Visit site
Hondas are best avoided, they have a very poor reputation due to rusting out quickly.

I have seen quite a few Suzukis being broken up for parts on e bay due to rusting internally but I was not aware that Honda had a problem-was this rusting problem at one point in time and the problem was resolved or is it ongoing?

C08

Visit site
Besides asking on here I would suggest you find your local outboard repair shop and ask them for advice. They will tell you which ones to avoid, if they are any good.

The problem with outboard shops is that they will tell you what is good is what they have to sell, unless you know them well.

C08

Visit site
Hi, Had a quite a few outboards and personally like the Mariner / Mercury brand (Both the same engines) Something to be aware of is that the block on a 6hp long shaft is the same as the block on the 15hp... so with the weight being the same I would get the larger engine...

A good point I will need to look into the weights in more detail.

ronsurf

Visit site
I was assuming you meant something smaller that 5HP, which on my boat is about the biggest engine it needs. The 2.3HP Honda is best avoided:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...2-3-a-few-observations-from-a-long-term-owner
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?328157-Honda-2-3F-outboard-rusty-bolts

Colleague at work had problems with his when the rocker cover rusted away, couldn't get the bolts out. The service centre weren't all that interested in repairing it and recommended he scrap, so he took it to a garage who managed to get the bolts out. Colleague then took it back to the service centre to have the rocker cover replaced.

Lakesailor

Visit site

A good point I will need to look into the weights in more detail.

It seems the smaller Mariner and Mercury engines are made by Tohatsu/Nissan.

Tohatsu are the default manufacturer. Nissan is just a rebadged Tohatsu, like Mercury and Mariner. Be sure to check the weights. Once you move to the 4 stroke range the 4/5/6hp are all the same engine.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I have a 6hp 4 stroke long shaft Tohatsu; I have used it and abused it for years on my dinghy and as a backup on the yacht. Its a very well made outboard, robust and very economical but most importantly, it starts on the first pull.

C08

Visit site
I have a 6hp 4 stroke long shaft Tohatsu; I have used it and abused it for years on my dinghy and as a backup on the yacht. Its a very well made outboard, robust and very economical but most importantly, it starts on the first pull.

Yes the Tohatsu is my preferred choice as I have had 3 of these and I am also impressed but I was also interested in what others thought in the event I could not get a Tohatsu at a decent price.

DownWest

Visit site
Small sample, but not terribly impressed by Suzuki. Sparse spares around here and got stiffed by a UK supplier. Engine in question got junked in the end as it never ran well. That was a 6hp 4T
Just recently, I stripped an old 3.5 2T from the 80s and it was very well built, times have changed.