Which replacement VHF

Adrian62

Visit site
Need to replace my Simrad RD68 VHF , looking for recommendations on a replacement as there seem to be so many with all different features .
Like the idea of some that a remote mic can be attached ,then can have one in the cockpit ( sailing yacht)
Two I have as potential replacements are the Icom M423 GE Or possibly the Standard Horizon GX2400 with Ais .is it worth the extra expense or just buy a basic one .Would be a know make as Icom as SH .
Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks .

jac

Visit site
I did exactly the same as you and went with the Icom. Be aware that if panel mounted it's slightly smaller than the RD 68 so you will need to deal with that.

Very happy wioth it - standard Icom quality, clear to read, pretty intuitive menus, volume seems ok - simpple to fit a command mic but not done that yet with mine as the run will be a nightmare!

johnalison

Visit site
I am way out of date on this issue, though I do need to replace my VHF. One consideration might be whether you want to connect the radio to other parts of your system, or possibly future system. I assume that some radios are stand-alone and only some available to integrate.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I am way out of date on this issue, though I do need to replace my VHF. One consideration might be whether you want to connect the radio to other parts of your system, or possibly future system. I assume that some radios are stand-alone and only some available to integrate.
Get one with built in GPS so its independent of your chart plotter. Thus you can turn plotter off or have it fail and still have lat long and be able to do emergency DSC mayday.
Get one with AIS reception so you can see what big boys are heading straight at you, and how close

I like standard hozizon but as Rainbow says there are others. They will integrate with other components though the exact degree of inter connectivity might vary. For instance if your chart plotter cannot display AIS info there is no point in insisting on radio (with AIS) that can share its AIS info to a plotter

Having read similar advice to that which you are getting now, I fitted a Standard Horizon GX2200E and RAM 3 external mic 5 or 6 yrs ago. Very happy with them. Internal GPS works well, even though the radio is mounted downstairs. It outputs AIS data to our Raymarine C80 plotter. The RAM mic (which is also a speaker) is a very useful addition in the cockpit, and I particularly like the way you can have the main radio and RAM set at different volumes, so as not to disturb the off watch downstairs too much.

Rappey

Visit site
I bought a standard horizon gx1850 as it has a larger than average display in a nice light blue. It can use the ram4 cockpit mike (also a large screen)as wired or wireless. Nmea 0183 and 2000. Very user intuitive !
For those with HUGE boats you can use the system as an intercom.

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I bought a standard horizon gx1850 as it has a larger than average display in a nice light blue. It can use the ram4 cockpit mike (also a large screen)as wired or wireless. Nmea 0183 and 2000. Very user intuitive !
For those with HUGE boats you can use the system as an intercom.
We have an identical set up. We too are very happy with the RAM4 in the cockpit. The fact you can have the volume below turned right down so as not to disturb the off watch crew is a real bonus.

Boathook

Visit site
I've got an icom with command mic and had it for over 10 years. Very pleased with it and the command mic has the same control layout as the main unit. It required a separate GPS input for the dsc but may be a new unit nowadays will have GPS built in.

Dingbull

Visit site
I would definitely keep off any VHF equipment whose MMSI couldn't be changed without removing it from the boat. Having to send VHF sets to the manufacturer for an MMSI change was an unnecessary requirement imposed by the US Administration that Europe accepted without a whisper. There are some brands that give directions for changing the MMSI to legitimate, registered owners.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I would definitely keep off any VHF equipment whose MMSI couldn't be changed without removing it from the boat. Having to send VHF sets to the manufacturer for an MMSI change was an unnecessary requirement imposed by the US Administration that Europe accepted without a whisper. There are some brands that give directions for changing the MMSI to legitimate, registered owners.
In that case, you likely won't be having an recent VHF or AIS then.

Reactions: RMC

Plum

Visit site
Would you please say which brands they are?

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I'd also like to know the brands.

I was able to change the MMSI number on my VespaMarine AIS kit, but only after producing a Bill of Sale, my SSR documentation and Ships Radio Licence.

Zing

Visit site
Get the Simrad/B&G one where you can have a Bluetooth handset. It’s nice cos you can go for a pee and still take a radio call.

Dingbull

Visit site
Would you please say which brands they are?

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

I'd also like to know the brands.

I was able to change the MMSI number on my VespaMarine AIS kit, but only after producing a Bill of Sale, my SSR documentation and Ships Radio Licence.

Standard Horizon is one of them. They will give you a code to unlock and erase the MMSI upon proof that you are the legitimate owner of the equipment.