Which outboard?

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
I’ve gone from Yamaha to Honda - (new boat, new tender).
Yamaha was quieter and quicker.

Both will be super reliable and the Honda is good quality imho.

But my vote is for the Yamaha - you’ll probably get more access to dealers as well.

ROBMH

Visit site
Thanks for your prompt reply I also have had both I was particularly impressed with the my last Honda but this was bigger.
I will probably go with the Yam though.

[2068]

Visit site
Swings and roundabouts - I believe the latest Yamaha can be stored on any side, whereas the Honda must be stored on the "correct" side else the oil ends up in the wrong place.
Honda has a larger internal fuel tank.
Yamaha warranty is 5 years vs 6 years for the Honda.
Both are great engines, but I would probably go with the Yamaha mainly because it can be stored on either side.
And it looks smarter, imho :)

Alanij

Visit site
I bought a Honda 6 HP last year - as others have said storing or even transporting it on its side means the oil gets out from where it should be, despite the handbook showing it can be laid on one side.

As the dipstick/oil filler is at a strange angle it is also easy to cross-thread the soft plastic (polythene/polypropylene?) dipstick on the aluminium filler tube.

C08

Visit site
I recently bought a new Yamaha 25 high thrust motor and I am not at all happy with the terms and conditions of their warranty. The dealer says Yamaha wil not consider a claim under warranty without a full and compliant servioce record. For example the first service has to be done with 3 months/20 hours whichever is least and then annual dealer servicing. As I will not even fit my new engine within three months I asked Yamaha uk how this fitted in with warranty t&c's. Their answers were I think deliberately vague and inconclusive.The warranty starts from the date issued by the dealer; I asked again about my engine bought mid Feb, can the warranty start date be extended by the three months it will take for me to go and fit it-no. So I cannot comply with the warranty conditions and I have no idea where I stand on a warranty claim, I suspect no chance from what the dealer told me about the Yamaha stance on warranty claims. Just something to think about when choosing new engine.
I hear Honda are ok with a detailed self service record for warranty claims as are Tohatsu who do a good 6hp saildrive (extra long) shaft motor.

Hot Property

Visit site
I recently bought a new Yamaha 25 high thrust motor and I am not at all happy with the terms and conditions of their warranty. The dealer says Yamaha wil not consider a claim under warranty without a full and compliant servioce record. For example the first service has to be done with 3 months/20 hours whichever is least and then annual dealer servicing. As I will not even fit my new engine within three months I asked Yamaha uk how this fitted in with warranty t&c's. Their answers were I think deliberately vague and inconclusive.The warranty starts from the date issued by the dealer; I asked again about my engine bought mid Feb, can the warranty start date be extended by the three months it will take for me to go and fit it-no. So I cannot comply with the warranty conditions and I have no idea where I stand on a warranty claim, I suspect no chance from what the dealer told me about the Yamaha stance on warranty claims. Just something to think about when choosing new engine.
I hear Honda are ok with a detailed self service record for warranty claims as are Tohatsu who do a good 6hp saildrive (extra long) shaft motor.

That's why I bought a Honda. Servicing isn't rocket science, oil and filters plus occasional impeller.

Someone I know had serious warranty issues with Suzuki so I kept a wide berth.....

[2068]

Visit site
I recently bought a new Yamaha 25 high thrust motor and I am not at all happy with the terms and conditions of their warranty. The dealer says Yamaha wil not consider a claim under warranty without a full and compliant servioce record. For example the first service has to be done with 3 months/20 hours whichever is least and then annual dealer servicing. As I will not even fit my new engine within three months I asked Yamaha uk how this fitted in with warranty t&c's. Their answers were I think deliberately vague and inconclusive.The warranty starts from the date issued by the dealer; I asked again about my engine bought mid Feb, can the warranty start date be extended by the three months it will take for me to go and fit it-no. So I cannot comply with the warranty conditions ...

I don’t understand why you say you cannot comply with the warranty conditions.
Three months after purchase, you fold down the seats, into the boot it goes, and it gets it’s first service.
From then on, every 12 months.
Simple.

Boathook

Visit site
I don’t understand why you say you cannot comply with the warranty conditions.
Three months after purchase, you fold down the seats, into the boot it goes, and it gets it’s first service.
From then on, every 12 months.
Simple.

At around 90kg weight it isn't easy to move around and if you are away on holiday and the 20 hours come up. With my Honda 30, about the same weight, the dealer sold me the new parts and said see you in the winter. I did a basic service myself on holiday and that was 11 years ago of trouble free motoring.

[2068]

Visit site
At around 90kg weight it isn't easy to move around and if you are away on holiday and the 20 hours come up. With my Honda 30, about the same weight, the dealer sold me the new parts and said see you in the winter. I did a basic service myself on holiday and that was 11 years ago of trouble free motoring.

90kg ???
Wow, okay, I can see the problem.

(Merc 25hp weighs 51kg)