Which gps

the griff

Visit site
Last year I treated myself to a simrad go7 gps, it seemed ideal for an all in one unit for depth finding/reading the bottom on the river for fishing and for going out to sea down the coast 10 miles and about 8 miles off shore with the capability to go further if need be with my navionics gold card. It also easily connects to my DSC radio and shows the AIS positions from the radio on the gps screen.

The problem is I have just cracked the screen on the front of it due to the all glass front design, navico have then told me that 80% of the electrics are built into the screen and recomended a new unit.

I have claimed on my insurance and they have agreed to pay.

Although I liked the go7 unit, the fact they are not repairable has put me off, I think the after sales has been terrible from navico especially with such an easily damagable design on the front screen.

I have looked at the lowrance hds7 gen 3 which looks a better design and a more robust unit and although it's still a navico product may not get damaged so easily. I would also be able to use my existing transducer which would mean easier to fit.
I am thinking these gen 3 units are more future proof and upgradable if need be, there are lots of add ons available including the 3D structure scan which would be ideal for using while fishing.

Before I rush into it, can anyone else recomend any other units, I do like navionics and have a platinum and a gold navionics card already, it must work with my radio using the nmea2000 backbone kit and also have a good depth finder/fish finder with as good image of the bottom as possible, my budget is about £1000. A 7 inch screen is fine because I can duplicate it by Bluetooth/wifi onto my iPad on most modern gps units anyway if I want a larger screen.

Recommendations please!!

Thanks

steve930

Visit site
I purchased the lowrance elite 7 with structure scan transducer earlier this year. So far I'm really pleased with the unit.

My only complaint being, the paper and pdf instructions don't tell you half of what the unit can do! So it took ages discovering all the features the unit has