Which cruise would you choose?

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Offer of ferrying 41' Bene from Croatia to Greece in September, using up my available holiday time.

Or my annual 2 week cruise on Snow Petrel seeing where I can get to down channel. (Aiming for S. Ireland or Channel Is this year, depending on wind direction)

Sneds

Visit site
I'd go to Croatia and Greece, I know you'll miss out on your annual two week "channel dash" but you can do a few short hops during our summer(!).......but two weeks in the sun?

duppamiller

Visit site
Will you get paid for the Croatia-Greece trip?

I've done a fair few deliveries (inc. a not dissimilar France-Turkey trip in April last year) and they're frustrating at times (boat won't be ready, arguments over safety kit, little opportunity to stop, things breaking due to poor maintenance, expected to push on through any weather, etc). Generally the opportunity to see new places and sail on a plush new boat outweighs this, but there's no guarantee . . . A financial incentive will help if it all goes wrong!

N.B. Croatia in September is colder than you might think! (shorts n t-shirt some days, but often not)

Allan

Visit site
As said previously there may be other factors to take into account but I would go to Croatia. My reasoning being that it sounds like that trip is a one off but Ireland etc. will be there next year.
How are the boat repairs going?
Allan

graham

Visit site
I would go for the Snow Petrel cruise. Sailing on other peoples boats is never quite the same IMHO.

bluedragon

Visit site
Well if this year is anything to go by, Croatia/Greece sounds a more certain option. It took three attempts to escape the Bristol Channel this year (which is why we're now in Milford Haven)...

1937rogerdon

Visit site
I agree with Graham, use your own boat. Thats what you bought it for, even if it takes several goes to get out of the Channel. Ireland is still one of the best cruising gounds.
When I cruise Ireland, which I am planning to do again next year I try and get the boat down to the Haven a few weeks before I am due to go away. This way even if the weather turns foul at the start of your holiday you are at least away from your home port.
Watch your Irish cruise dates. 2008 is a Cork Week year 12th July to the 19th. Cork will be crowded with racing yachts.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
It's with jobs-a-goodun on one of his yachts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just had a few days on the boat in Croatia, and it was cold and windy, which is why he wants to move it further south.

But I do love my boat, and I do love getting out of the BC, and Greece will still be there!

I had pretty much decided to have my own cruise on Snow Petrel - and hopefully it will be as successful as last summer /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nice to see some of you think along the same lines and like it around here.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Ireland may well still be there, but it is usually quite a challenging trip from here. I haven't managed to get south of Cork yet, but would love to go round to the south coast which looks like a stunning cruising area.

It would also cost me nothing!

The engine is now cleaned up and painted, the engine bay is stripped and painted and the new soundproofing about to go in. Next problem is to get the engine out of the shed, up 40 yds of path and steps and into a trailer /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I am fabricating lifting brackets and a frame to hang it off a scaffold tube, and hope I can find another 5 blokes to help carry it out!