which course?

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
I did coastal skipper (non-tidal) over 20 years ago in the Baltic. Am a little rusty on Nav bits but have good understanding off most other things. Am thinking of going to do Yachtmaster theory next week, is the gap between the two huge or is one a continuum of the other?

S

Skyva_2

The gap is between Day Skipper theory (assumes little or no knowledge) and Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster theory, which is actually one course, not two.

For practical exams there is a difference between CS and YM.

I would go for Yachtmaster, you may need to do some rapid revision but DS would be too basic.

Keith

claymore

Visit site
Diesel engines.

Navigation is very much about common sense and practice - diesel engines which conk out are far harder to understand and resolve and so I'd always plump for the diesel engine fixing courses.

regards
Claymore

S

Skyva_2

Re: Diesel engines.

Have I missed something, but David's question referred to Yachtmaster, did it not?

But I'm all in favour of knowing about diesel engines too, they hold far more mysteries for me than navigation....

Keith

claymore

Visit site

No - you haven't missed anything - I cannot think of a worse and more unproductive way of spending one evening a week than doing the yachtmaster theory course. I used to teach it at evening class in the early 1980's and almost lost the will to live. I realise there's nothing else and it keeps hundreds happy each winter but as you say coming to terms with the vagaries of the humble diesel engine has to be a better use of one's time.
I'd rather spend one sunday a month afloat through the winter setting and solving practical navigation problems than studying for what is in effect a fairly worthless certificate.

regards
Claymore

david_e

course explanation

Thanks Skyva, the main reason I am thinking of doing it is to give myself confidence to do passages, mainly around Cardigan Bay and North Wales and from Pwllheli to Ireland. Have never used GPS so would imagine that when I do I might wonder whether a course is neccessary. Know quite a few who do many a long trip in a variety of conditions with no qualifications.

david_e

Hhmmm, surely it can't be that bad? As for diesel engines, have never worked with them so far. In general, as a qualified aircraft engineer, I think I would get the hang of them at some point or another. However you might be able to explain something for me. Was about to buy a boat recently which was described as 2000 model and ex-demo. It had had a new engine fitted, a Volvo 10hp. The salesman mentioned that water had got back thru the exhaust and seized a valve when it had been left. I asked him to explain how this happened and apparently water is put into the exhaust manifold after being used to cool the engine. What type of cooling is this? He said it happened because it wasn't properly installed and that the refit engine had been set up differently. Is this likely, can't imagine Jeanneau getting it so wrong at new. What do you think John?

Cornishman

Visit site

I cannot agree less. I have been a YM Examiner for 27 years and if a candidate is likely to fail it is usually on IRPCS, Met or ability as a skipper. The first two form a large chunk of the theory course, the last one is part of a Coastal Skipper practical. Why does everybody think that the only subject taught on the theory courses is navigation? It is only about 20 per cent. of the syllabus. See G.15.
The theory of Met, Tides and so on is perhaps not actually used while you are sailing, but an understanding of them helps to make better decisions and judgements. We rely too much on electronic toys without really understanding what we are doing these days. Who needs an engine anyway? The French often don't have them, and I am sorry to say that they are in general better sailors for it.

G

I don't know what the syllabus is for diesel engine courses but in my experience (which covers over 30 years building and operating boats both commercially and for pleasure) it is usually the engine installation, not the engine itself, that causes the problems. Fuel filtration, wiring, hoses, chafe, skin fittings, batteries and so on all seem to cause more problems than the engine itself, so hopefully the "diesel engine" courses cover the ancillaries and installation as well. If not, find a course that does, because that will be the most useful one. And by the way, under no circumstances should you assume that because the boat has been "professionally" built it will be OK.

S

Skyva_2

Re:Yachtmaster theory / Diesel engines.

Getting back to David's original question, you can acquire the necessary skills for making passages from experience, but for me the course accelerated and consolidated the learning. Its not the piece of paper thats important, its the way you use the skills.

And the course now covers GPS in more detail - in fact it assumes that GPS will be an important basis of navigation. And its quite right that IRPCS, Safety and Met are all important in addition to navigation. Plus the new emphasis on passage planning!

I hope to teach courses this winter, and have no expectation of losing the will to live in the process. In my experience students come with a willingness to learn and leave with a feeling of satisfaction with what they achieved.

Regards,
Keith

Cornishman

Visit site

Anyone considering attending an RYA Diesel Engine Course would do well to get hold of a copy of the latest edition of RYA Publication G.15/98. Page 17 gives the complete syllabus which covers all the subjects identified by bargee and more, much more. The course is well structured, and each establichment is required to have a marine diesel engine provided for the practical sessions. No more than 6 students per engine is allowed.

claymore

Visit site

Sounds a load of tosh and a boat to avoid. Its fairly standard to have seawater cooled engines and the splash of water you see coming from most boat exhausts is evidence of this as the water is piped into the exhaust and the gases from the engine help to 'spit out' the water.
Cornishman and Skyva are both supporters of the RYA shorebased courses and thats fair enough. The answer to your original question is to go and do a Yachtmaster theory course. Attitudes are varied - it isn't being purist not to use an engine, nor will Cabot and Magellan spin in their graves because the majority use GPS and other navigation aids. Coastguard weather forecasts are frequent and accurate enough so really I don't think you need to be so much an interpreter of meteorological developments- except that it is a fascinating subject - as an intelligent user of the information obtained. If you got the grasp of navigation 20 years ago it will soon return on use - rather like riding a bike - so I'd always be an advocate of getting some practical practice in.

regards
Claymore

billmacfarlane

Visit site
You've done a bit of sailing David , so you've probably done a fair bit of nav already. As someone said , it's not rocket science and you'd probably get bored doing anything less than Yachtmaster theory.

david_e

Thanks all, Yachtmaster it is then. I'd better pass it after all this!!
Which reminds me, I must ask Kim to set up a forum for all those taking exams this winter.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by david_e on 01/09/2002 16:35 (server time).</FONT></P>