Which 12v/mains Fridge

andyc

Visit site
I am in the unfortunate situation where I need to replace my rather large Norcold EV 461 fridge freezer as is runs but does not do cold any more.
Following lots of research ,I cannot find anything that fits well so have chosen the smaller Waeco CR140at 80cm high and will turn the top freezer door into a shelf for storage above which we do lack.The advantage of Waeco seems to be that it will run any voltage.My Norcold is 110V/12v DC and the Waeco seems to do both plus 240ac without mods.

Any other suggestions? Is waeco a good make or should I go Thetford or something else.?Thetford do something bigger but still leaves a gap fo 3 inches around.

vas

Visit site
+1 for waeco, unless I'm horribly wrong, it's considered one of the top brands.

I have one, performs much better than my vertifrigo one...

V.

David2452

Visit site
I am in the unfortunate situation where I need to replace my rather large Norcold EV 461 fridge freezer as is runs but does not do cold any more.
Following lots of research ,I cannot find anything that fits well so have chosen the smaller Waeco CR140at 80cm high and will turn the top freezer door into a shelf for storage above which we do lack.The advantage of Waeco seems to be that it will run any voltage.My Norcold is 110V/12v DC and the Waeco seems to do both plus 240ac without mods.

Any other suggestions? Is waeco a good make or should I go Thetford or something else.?Thetford do something bigger but still leaves a gap fo 3 inches around.

Whip it out and take it for a re gas, usually all that is needed if the compressor is still functioning OK and a relatively inexpensive fix.

abraxus

Visit site
Does it fail to get cold on both mains and DC?

I nearly replaced my Norcold because it was running but didn't always get cold. However, after disconnecting it from AC power and just letting it run on DC it's been fine.

andyc

Visit site
Does it fail to get cold on both mains and DC?

I nearly replaced my Norcold because it was running but didn't always get cold. However, after disconnecting it from AC power and just letting it run on DC it's been fine.

Ill try dcnext time as only ac been used.

abraxus

Visit site
Ill try dcnext time as only ac been used.

In which case it's defintely worth trying. My Norcold is AC powered via a 240v to 110v transformer but according to the specs it needs 110v at a minumum of 59hz. UK AC is at 50hz and so effects the running of the fridge.

On 12v it's great and so I leave it on that permanently where it's powered by the batteries and/or charger.