Wherewozzit?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm afraid I don't know the answer, but I have just found this in a box of slides from my late parents' house and I have a vague idea of the general area. Can anyone pinpoint it?

7FO6UUL.png

Aja

Visit site
Looks like stretch of coast between stonehaven to portlethen. Downies, Muchalls that area.

#Humblebee maybe know?

sigimae

Visit site
I reckon the first is Pettico Wick Bay,
Then Eyemouth pre visitors pontoon, Cargreen House where my eldest wed last year is a give away in that picture and as suggested lastly St Abbs Head.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Google confirms both Eyemouth

eyemouth-harbour.jpg

and St Abbs Head

St_Abb%27s_head_lighthouse.JPG

and makes sense because my grandparents had connection with St Abbs and used to holiday there. My "vague idea of the general area" was Berwickshire ... could the harbour in the first picture be somewhere there too? I've looked at the 2 1/2" OS maps via (streetmap.co.uk) all the way from Berwick to Torness and can't see anything promising.

dava

Visit site
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg
Pettico wick bay, just west of St. Abbs.
I always wondered about the design of that little slipway with the large rock at the end.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Pettico Wick Bay
Just around the corner from St Abbs!
Pettico wick bay, just west of St. Abbs.

Many thanks, all. Anyone been in there? Looks as if it might be a nice spot for a small boat in good conditions. I think I can be excused for missing it on the map.
BxlvfNs.png

Incidentally, what a wonderful set of placenames. Well up to Galloway weirdness, and we have both "Point of the Snibe" and "Rig of the Jarkness".

I always wondered about the design of that little slipway with the large rock at the end.
That struck me too. Perhaps the rock fell after the slipway was built?

Kelpie

Visit site
I'm a bit late to the party but SWMBO recognised Eyemouth instantly- in fact a few weeks ago she spent a week in the little tower building on the right hand side of the photo.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I got Eyemouth and St Abbs straight away; I spent several years in my teens sailing from Dunbar on my Dad's boat and visited Eyemouth on the trip from the Clyde to Titchmarsh a few years ago. Cargreen House is well worth a visit; because it's a quiet sort of place these days, you forget a) that Eyemouth is the closest Scottish port to England and b) that taxation and so forth differed between the two countries as recently as the 18th century, making smuggling between the two a viable proposition!

I got the bay with the slipway wrong - my first thought was that it was the bay next to the Ship Rock lighthouse on Sanda, which is quite like that.

dava

Visit site
I've spent a lot of time round there fishing and camping, I was told by an old st abbs fisherman that the bay was where they landed the oil for the original lighthouse which was then transported by horse and cart to the lighthouse, problem I have with that story is that the terrain between the 2 is pretty extreme, there's a track close to the bay but no track down.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've spent a lot of time round there fishing and camping, I was told by an old st abbs fisherman that the bay was where they landed the oil for the original lighthouse which was then transported by horse and cart to the lighthouse, problem I have with that story is that the terrain between the 2 is pretty extreme, there's a track close to the bay but no track down.
Is there not a track going down in the foreground in the first picture I posted? Lighthouses used to be supplied in all sorts of hair-raising ways - I think the jetty for Ardnamurchan light is the one in the middle of this ... I've heard that it was rather a tight squeeze. Anyone been in there?

49i0q45.png

dava

Visit site
Is there not a track going down in the foreground in the first picture I posted? Lighthouses used to be supplied in all sorts of hair-raising ways - I think the jetty for Ardnamurchan light is the one in the middle of this ... I've heard that it was rather a tight squeeze. Anyone been in there?

49i0q45.png
There is a bit of a track there but it seems to disappear into wilderness before it reaches the top and it's really steep, I mean could of been a bit different 100 years ago but I'd imagine it taking some effort to get a wagon load of oil up there. They reckon it was first powered by whale oil actually, which would tie in with the oil being delivered by sea.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
There is a bit of a track there but it seems to disappear into wilderness before it reaches the top and it's really steep, I mean could of been a bit different 100 years ago but I'd imagine it taking some effort to get a wagon load of oil up there. They reckon it was first powered by whale oil actually, which would tie in with the oil being delivered by sea.
Here's the 1856 25" map

Ofn3V9A.png

and here's the 1899 one

hVeVjqt.png

At some point in between the track was improved, the slipway built and a building put over or beside the spring.

The lighthouse was completed in 1862, so it looks distinctly possible to me that the slipway was built to supply it and perhaps the spring was harvested for fresh water. Additional evidence: the Stevensons did beautiful stone work even for support structures (see Erraid for examples) and that is an awful nice slipway.

Alternatively, or additionally, some lighthouses used inclined railways to get the stuff up - maybe the "track" is actually a trackbed? I can't find any maps surveyed between the 1850s and 1890s (I'm using the NLS map room website) so a tramway may have come and gone in the interim.

dava

Visit site
Here's the 1856 25" map

Ofn3V9A.png

and here's the 1899 one

hVeVjqt.png

At some point in between the track was improved, the slipway built and a building put over or beside the spring.

The lighthouse was completed in 1862, so it looks distinctly possible to me that the slipway was built to supply it and perhaps the spring was harvested for fresh water. Additional evidence: the Stevensons did beautiful stone work even for support structures (see Erraid for examples) and that is an awful nice slipway.

Alternatively, or additionally, some lighthouses used inclined railways to get the stuff up - maybe the "track" is actually a trackbed? I can't find any maps surveyed between the 1850s and 1890s (I'm using the NLS map room website) so a tramway may have come and gone in the interim.

That's seriously impressive research, I love it when old fisherman's tales seem to ring true! That particular area is special to me, there's nothing like walking round them cliffs and soaking up the views.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
That's seriously impressive research ...
I wish it was, but really I just poked round National Library of Scotland - Map Images a bit. The interface takes a bit of learning, but once you have the hang of it it's an amazing resource, including all out-of-copyright (ie 50+ years old) OS maps of Scotland in all scales from one-inch to fifty-inch from the 1820s onwards. All the old Admiralty charts too.