Where to Put It

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Re:Gludy

Chippie - thanks for the support. I really do not get in the slightest bit upset with any hard time this lot give me. The main purpose of this thread for me was advice on where to put the transducer and as a result of that advice have decided to go for the plastic type that requires no thru-the-hull fittting. If I need to improve performance later, I can laways fit the bronze type with the experience of where to put it.

I have been under pressure to take the boat out without the full check up being done from friends at the Marina but again I am confident that I have done the right thing in holding back to get it all checked out. A few times I have been on the dge of taking her out but did not do so because I had some indications of basics not being right and really wanted the checkout which I had to wait almost three weeks for.

I have already experienced trips out to sea in other boats where damage has been caused by the skipper wanting to get out without having the boat checked or even an understanding of some important issues of sailing. So I have had a number of second hand experiences that give me confidence I have donme it the right way for me.

With Barry's maiden voyage this weekend, I have to say that if I had to make that decision based on what I have learned about his boat/circumstances, I would also sail her to her new port. My trip would have been twice the distance and around Lands End - without doubt, the impellers would have gone, had two dud batteries, possibly overheated etc. So I was lucky that the weather stopped me from doing it - and that was the only thing that stopped me.

I know of one local who sailed their boat to its new berth employing an experienced skipper to do it with them and blew an engine - the cost of the repair to get it to its new berth was £10,000 plus hotels, many days of work etc. The boat had been surveyed and had an engine survey, so I suppose that was bad luck.

Once I do start going out I have no intention of stopping but I am enjoying all the preparation work and the learning curve.

Paul