Where to leave boat over winter, south France?

blampied

Visit site
On the French Canal network,
currently in the middle of France at Chalons-en-Champagne.
(Middle of Champagne region and this local fizzy stuff is giving me a headache)
We are slowly heading south and expect to reach the Mediterranean beginning of September,
By the end of October we will need somewhere reasonably secure / reasonably priced to leave out 10 metre boat until about March.

Any suggestions great fully received.

Best regards
Paul

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
When we did nearly the same as you but with an excursion to the Balearics before winter we left the boat hauled out at Port Leucate. Every service you could ask is there. We used the 'Du Golfe' yard but there are others. Cost was, and remained when I checked about a year ago, €10/metre/month. Excellent place and reasonably close to Perpignan airport.

blueglass

Visit site
Port Napoleon at Port St. Louis just past the last lock off the Rhone into the Med is one we used a year or two back. Was very reasonable although the area is lacking in glamour and badly mosquito ridden. Good yard with all services however and acres of hard standing for winter. Always space to spare.

albineer

Visit site
Port Napoleon at Port St. Louis just past the last lock off the Rhone into the Med is one we used a year or two back. Was very reasonable although the area is lacking in glamour and badly mosquito ridden. Good yard with all services however and acres of hard standing for winter. Always space to spare.

Allemands have a very good reputation but personally I've only used the chandlery. Beziers airport is reasonably close.

link here http://www.chantier-allemand.com/infos-gb.php?lang=gb

Last edited:

chasroberts

Visit site
Allemands have a very good reputation but personally I've only used the chandlery. Beziers airport is reasonably close.

link here http://www.chantier-allemand.com/infos-gb.php?lang=gb

A nightmare to try and get a place in their very limited hard standing though. Have tried a couple of times over the last few years with no joy whatsoever. We leave the boat at Gruissan and have done so for a number of years with Tout pour le Bateaux although there are three or four companies who use the hardstanding area. Chandlers, Lidl, laundrette etc and a pretty village all in walking distance. Bus service to Narbonne railway station and from there you can choose, Montpelier, Perpignan or Carcassonne airports. Probably all depends on when you finally hit the Med. Have also wintered iin Navy Service in Port St Louis which was then a cheaper option to Port Napoleon but check prices as I think they got dearer over the last few years. Also all these ports suffer the dreaded Mistral - Le vent qui s'enfou (the wind that drives you mad) which can blow at 40kts for days on end. Whereever you end up; good luck and happy sailing.

Chas

Bertramdriver

www.williamsandsmithells.com
After much ummimg and aaaring. Just booked into Navy Service at Port St Louis for the winter. Cheaper than the Aegean, easy to deal with and much cheaper to get to.
Ironic. I would never have believed that France could be cheaper than Greece. Shows how the world has turned.

pcatterall

Visit site
WE used Navy services at Port Saint Louis last year. Highly recommended. Yes the place is rather windswept!! but they are very professional ( you need wheels ( push bike at least!!) as its a long boring walk in to town ( 10 mins on bike)

Mrnotming

Visit site
+1
Used the 038 from Martigues to Marseilles Provence Airport on 03/07/2014, takes about 50 mins.Bliss, no hotel overnight needed.Direct flight to Dublin and other notable places!Marseilles Airport is about 25kms from Marseilles city at Marignane, near Eurocopter. Vitrolles etc.
The connection to Port St.Louis is at Martigues.To plan your trip use www.lepilote.com and the bus company is called CARTREIZE.There are several other bus companies on the site(Robert,Ulysse to name but two).
It is now possible to manage without a car.

Mrnotming

Visit site
As ChasRoberts points out the Mistral is wearing if you stay and endure same.Most launch and sail away.However a bonus is that, it is a dry wind and stuff on the boat does not go mouldy at all.We can leave clothes in lockers without these turning green!Same for cushions, though make sure hatches have awnings over to avoid water ingress.Red dust from Africa is more of a problem if sails are left bent on.

blampied

Visit site
MoonSpirit, we are now at Avignon!

As ChasRoberts points out the Mistral is wearing if you stay and endure same.Most launch and sail away.However a bonus is that, it is a dry wind and stuff on the boat does not go mouldy at all.We can leave clothes in lockers without these turning green!Same for cushions, though make sure hatches have awnings over to avoid water ingress.Red dust from Africa is more of a problem if sails are left bent on.

We will be at Port St Louis in next couple of days, and will check out the facilities for leaving the boat overwinter.
Glorious weather here in Avignon, still sitting outside in t-shirts with drinks at midnight.

charles_reed

Visit site
After much ummimg and aaaring. Just booked into Navy Service at Port St Louis for the winter. Cheaper than the Aegean, easy to deal with and much cheaper to get to.
Ironic. I would never have believed that France could be cheaper than Greece. Shows how the world has turned.

Cheaper than the Aegean @ €1000 for 7 months including lift in and out and wash down?
When I used Navy Service 3 years ago it was pro-rata 240% of that price, and you had to do your own wash down!!!

blampied

Visit site
Thank you all for suggestions,
I have now settled on a yard in Grande Motte, who will store the boat out of the water over winter.
(200 euro per month outside or 230 inside a secure warehouse)
I've agreed on MoonSpirit being stored inside.
Best regards
Paul

flyboy2508

Visit site
Hello,

I am looking to put my boat for next winter in a boat yard in Grande Motte, can I ask please what yard you used and your experience ?
Thanks you
Alan