Where to get hold of charts/pilot books for the Med

paul

Visit site
I'm planning an 18 month trip to the Med and need loads of charts and pilot books (and Navionics Gold cartridges). Trouble is that it'll cost a fortune to buy new and when I've finished I'll have no need for them. Has anyone got any suggestions as to where I could look as a source for used charts/books? I've put a posting on the "Wanted" pages of YBW but feel there must be other places where people look to sell this type of stuff. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Paul

shmoo

Visit site
there are two you can get for free (as in no money, unlike UKHO = lots of money) from US NGA.
Pub. 132 - Eastern Mediterranean (Enroute) (5 MB) and and
Pub. 131 - Western Mediterranean (Enroute), 2004 (8 MB) both downloadable pdfs. They are updated, Hydrographic Office quality docs. The website is dreadful but worth the frustration of navigating it.

This *may* help
http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/maritime/...ec24fd73927a759
but will give a pointer. The stuff IS there.

franky

Visit site
Roy Laver who used to manage a second hand chart library on behalf of the CA recently died and I believe that the charts are part of his probate.They may become the property of t he CA at some time but give Ian Barker a call at CA House to confirm.Ibought about 200 charts for £300.They are out o9f date but if used with uop to date pilot books and a few new charts for the tricky bits they are OK.

alandee

Visit site
Hi. Try Chartsales on E-bay (www.chartsales.com). I bought most of my charts from them at various prices all depending on the age, condition, and latest updates. You can update charts yourself from the internet. Good Luck.

franky

Visit site
Thanks Shmoo for the link.What a great site for a freeby.Just looked up the price list for Admiralty Pilots for the Med.Comes as FIVE volumes at £42.00 each.ie £210 pounds.Can put the info in the laptop and just print off the relevant pages if I am not too drunk having spent the savings I have just made on some wine.I will raise a glass or several to you as I enter the Med.

capnsensible

Visit site
When we left the UK we had masses of charts and pilots on the boat which, frankly, we didn't use much. Now I tend to get whats needed for the next leg to wherever, then sort out the following bit. Local charts in any language are generally as easy to understand and cheaper. Most cruisers are more than generous in sharing knowledge and with very lax copyright rules in med countries you can get very cheap copies (full size charts) run up in most places. This gives you a good excuse to bus it into town, look about, go to bars you would never have seen. Also passes boring passage hours colouring in!

shmoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can put the info in the laptop

[/ QUOTE ]
With great respect, I would print them if I were you. The saving won't be quite as great but you will get a warm fuzzy feeling from knowing you will still have them if the laptop gets hit by a stray splash finding its way down the companionway.

I don't think many folk find them 'casue the website is so bad. Pass around the link!

shmoo

Visit site
The exe is a just a windows installer. The publication itself is a pdf. Why do they do that? I guess the same reason the website is bad!

If you need any let me know which and I will unpack the pdfs and post them somewhere you can get them. All the publications bear the notice "NO COPYRIGHT CLAIMED UNDER TITLE 17 U.S.C." so it shouldn't be a prob.

trouville

N/A
Visit site
You should copy them on a blue print copier,you will find on in or be given the address of a copy service that will copy full size charts.They useualy have water resistant paper or plastic which dosent cost more.

Before you borrow charts you should talk about copy rights,today there are quite some that will tell you that it must be paid expensivly for if so just borrow them and dont say anything about copying them.

If you have room take a scanner with you to copy books then you can print them in book form later.

A while ago i got charts on CD rom which were copied from some super expensive suplier but ive never discoverd how to use them?? I MUCH perfer paper charts they use far less power and dont vanish when needed (unless they blow away!!)

shmoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Would love to get to see what ever it has for the French coast from Marseille to Monaco

[/ QUOTE ]

This should do you. http://www.woodbridgecruisingclub.co.uk/sailingDirections.php I've put up just the western Med. for now. Please regard this as only suitable for browsing and selection purposes and get your own, current and updated one, before using it for navigation and real planning. If you need any more let me know.