Where is the Bristol channel?

Davegriff

Visit site
Alway understood western limit to be St Gowans Head in Pembrokeshire.

"The International Hydrographic Organization defines the limits of the Bristol Channel as "a line joining Hartland Point [in Devon] (51°01′N 4°32′W) to St. Govan's Head [in Pembrokeshire] (51°36′N 4°55′W)".[1]"

single

Visit site
Irrespective of geographical definition, the Bristol Channel forum covers all tidal waters inside of a line drawn from Land's End to St David's Head. This was debated here several years ago.

And the forecast is Land's End to St.David's head including the BC.

malpasman

Visit site

"The International Hydrographic Organization defines the limits of the Bristol Channel as "a line joining Hartland Point [in Devon] (51°01′N 4°32′W) to St. Govan's Head [in Pembrokeshire] (51°36′N 4°55′W)".[1]"

I just lifted this off Wiki, so it must be right,

The International Hydrographic Organization defines the limits of the Bristol Channel as "a line joining Hartland Point [in Devon]
51°01′N 4°32′W to St. Govan's Head [in Pembrokeshire]
51°36′N 4°55′W".[1]

The upper limit of the Channel is between Sand Point, Somerset and Lavernock Point in South Wales.

East of this line is the Severn Estuary.

Western and Northern Pembrokeshire, and North Cornwall are outside the defined limits of the Bristol Channel, and are considered part of the seaboard of the Atlantic Ocean, more specifically the Celtic Sea.

Gold Star to Davegriff

Allan

Visit site

I think that sounds like a good description for the OP.

Irrespective of geographical definition, the Bristol Channel forum covers all tidal waters inside of a line drawn from Land's End to St David's Head. This was debated here several years ago.
I remember the debate and thought it was agreed that Padstow to Milford Haven would be better.
As far as I can see, the forum covers anything of interest to us Bristol Channel boaters. For me that includes a lot further afield, for others just small parts of the Channel.
Allan

A

Alcyone

Al,

When you say Milford to Padstow, I'm guessing you mean the bit inside those two, not the bit outside, that includes Scotland and so on. Am I right?

:D

Allan

Visit site
How I have missed your shining wit! Welcome back. Yes, I seem to remember the debate finished with most people agreeing that it should include everything east of a line between the Haven and Padstow. In fact, the forum is quite organic and there is no need to restrict it. If it is of interest to Channel sailors it should be here.
As said above the Hydrographic office has a definition which I believe the OP was after.
Allan
PS your blog is looking great.

A

Alcyone

Cheers, mate.

I'd have probably gone with the Blue book definition, which would be fairly similar to your Milford to Padstow, I'd guess.

Good to be back.

er, probably. :D