Where did you go for Easter ?

G

Re: I think they\'re OK but...

No Rob, of course I don't mind you asking, thanks for the interest. They're AQAD 30's and when I took the injectors out there were copper washers under them and it shows them in the W\S manual too so I think they should be there. I think, because I took them out two or three times before actually running the engines I might have "flattened" the washers? and they've lost their sealing capability? Does that seem feasible? Failing new washers I'm not quite sure what to try next and yes the exhaust gas is definitely coming from the injectors. Out of one on port engine and two on stbd. On start up you can see definite pouffs of smoke and when running you can feel it coming out around the injector.

G

Re: Exhaust elbow dropped off is a good guess. nm

I gave up with the weather i'm afraid.You will see my boat is missing from the marina Nick ! I spend Easter making sure that it was being loaded properly on to a large cargo ship leaving Southampton for the Med.It should arrive there at the end of the month.

G

Hi Colly! Sounds like the seats are possibly scored or scratched. it is often the case that previous owners use screw drivers and hammers to get the old washers out and damage the seats. If this is the case the long term cure is simple and is to machine out the seat and use thicker washers but this is a precision job as you can understand and expensive what with heads off and all that. You may be able to fit new washers, having carefully cleaned the seats of all coke (which there will be having had combustion gas passing over them)and tightened the injectors after they have got warm. Be careful not to break anything. check the seats with a good light to sea if there is any scoring before concidering any drastic measures. If the faces of the seats are scored, there are cheaper cures but only medium term ones I am afraid. e:-mail me if you need any more info robinwdunham@aol.com best of luck Rob

G

If you had waited you could have got Haydyn's filling the diesel tank with water!

Nick

G

These washers are one time use only - they are compressed when tightened and not much good next time around. Hopefully new washers will cure the problem.

Nick

G

South of France, just got back. Had a plan to go to Spain, but weather too windy. So, St Tropez and Port Grimaud. The dinghy didn't work, and the gangplank thingy passarelle is a bit busted, so we ordered new boat. I must be mad.