Where can I get 'Bayonet' stanchions - or how to straighten?


5 Jan 2006
Visit site
I managed to remove all of the stanchions on my Dufour 1800, they are a sort of bayonet fitting, they sit in a plastic socket with a keyway, to remove you twist about 90 degrees and then pull out. Tha stantion has a pin welded to the base which allows them to lock.

Out of 6, 3 are ok 2 are slightly bent and one it badly bent.

I need to replace these but cant find anywhere on the web that looks like they do them, does anyone know where i might find them? (they have a single hole and are about 400mm high).
Alternatively does anyone know how they could be rescued?


Well-known member
10 Nov 2007
Visit site
Unlikely to get ready made ones. Just get an SS fabrictor to make them for you from standard tube.
25 Feb 2010
Visit site
I had to straighten one after a hit-and-run whilst the boat was on the mooring:mad:

Luckily I found a piece of steel bar which was a fairly tight fit in the bottom of the stanchion and acted as a mandrel. The mandrel held everything firm in a vice whilst heat and force were applied to straighten the stanchion up.

I was amazed how much heat it need. I ended up with two blow lamps and some firebricks to concentrate the heat where it was needed. Oxy-acetylene would have been better. Heat way beyond red to orange/yellow.

Apply a darn great lever (well, a convenient steel tube) to the other end and straighten the stanchion.

Remove the mandrel and polish up (Several grades of wet and dry followed by T cut, did for me)

I was quite pleased with the result, but would have been more pleased if I could have inserted said stanchion up an orifice of the toe rag who bent it in the first place.

PS. I doubt that it is easy to get them made up if they are tapered.
Last edited: