When was this picture taken?

JAYDAWG

Visit site
Hello to all.
I am trying to help a gentleman who is writing a book on the history of the Port of Port Townsend in Jefferson county WA.
My Grandfather was a port commissioner from 1944-1960 when he became port manager until 1969.
This picture was taken at the Quilcene marina, (owned by the port). We are trying to come up with a time frame of when it was taken.
I thought someone here could help us out with the vintage of the boats. Any help is appreciated.
Jay
thumbnail_IMG_0482.jpg

veshengro

Visit site
I don't see any inflatable fenders (Bumpers?) But I don't know the date/year when they came into common use, although I know the Norwegians first started selling inflatable buoys of synthetic material in the mid 1950's. Perhaps the absence of inflatable fenders puts the date pre 1954-5?

JAYDAWG

Visit site
Appreciate the replies, never thought of it from those two viewpoints!
The larger boats look like late 30's early 40's from what I've found online.

Any thoughts or comments on boat age?
Jay

veshengro

Visit site
The 1930's would be a good possibility I think. When I first saw the photo in your post I was immediately reminded of ' Dunkirk Little Ships'. This is a collective name we give to the small vessels, many privately owned which were used in the evacuation of British and other nationality troops from Dunkirk in May and June of 1940 after the invasion of the Netherlands, Belgium and France by German forces. The British Government called on volunteer private boat owners to help with the evacuation and as a result Private motor boats, yachts with engines and many small coasting craft crossed the Channel and took the retreating troops off the French beaches. Small private vessels were also commandeered for the purpose. Some private owners took part in the rescue and remained with their boats, other Little Ships were crewed by Naval or military personnel. The total was between 800 to 900 vessels and a small number were sunk by enemy action either off the beaches or on the voyage back to England.

Many of those little vessels were of a similar vintage to the ones in your photo I think, so the 1930's is a fairly accurate guess I believe. A good number of those little vessels are still afloat in use, and very well cared for here in UK, and take part in annual remembrance convoys.
A modern surviving 'Little Ship'

A post War photo of a formal Sail Past at some official ceremony.

Last edited:

dombuckley

Visit site
Some background here: Port Townsend early history

Although both were authorized in 1926, construction of the main marina at Port Townsend did not commence until 1931, while the small boat harbor at Quilcene (now Herb Beck marina) wasn't established until 1947. This would tie in with the larger cruiser towards the back, which looks more 1950s than 1930s.