When is this weird gusty Solent weather going to ease!

Zagato

Visit site
I don't think I have ever known these strange, long term, continous gusty conditions. Is this effecting your sailing as well? Hope the latter part of the week is better.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I don't think I have ever known these strange, long term, continous gusty conditions. Is this effecting your sailing as well? Hope the latter part of the week is better.
The easterlies do seem particularly prolongued. It was too dangerous to get on the boats on the yarmouth moorings today. Not unusual early on in the season, but it’s usually settled down by now.

lustyd

Visit site
Ah but Priory Bay anchorage was very quiet on Saturday night, just us and one other boat! Got to stay positive :D

fisherman

Visit site
Normal.....for march. They used to say in Coverack "Get six weeks of east wind in March".

When it's really bad we get a surge in Helford, the creek will fill 8ft deep then two minutes later empty.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
One of our members was planning to go to Scilly at the weekend. I don't envy his trip back.
Years ago I left Plymouth for Falmouth for the Oyster festival in good strong easterlies and had a splendid run down. 3 days later it took me nearly two days to get back to Plymouth in 30 kt and more easterlies, had to stop over in Fowey after 12 Hrs.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Anyone going to the Voor Anchor in Ostend? I was heading that way on Thursday until engine woes turned me back. 2 of my friends boats are in Blankenburge. They had a great sail from Bradwell on Sunday. They went to Blankenburge, as I was told harbour was full. RNSYC posted same on their facebook page. However, yesterday my friends said Ostend harbour was virtually empty. Probably too much swell, due to the Northerlies, driven boats away.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Swings and roundabouts. I got quite excited and planned a trip down wind to Beaulieu from Chichester. Windy overnight on the mooring Friday night and then very light once we wanted to sail. Had a ghosting race through the submarine barrier....never been accompanied by so many other leisure sailors NOT putting on their engines....who would succumb first. Unfortunately it picked up enough for me to get the rarely granted permission to rig the spinnaker 😀..... then it promptly died to nothing as I returned to the cockpit to hoist. Sunday we squeaked back into Chichester before it blew up. Chuffed with my Knox at Chaldock, as they say. Missed our first attempt to pick up the mooring bouy Monday morning, despite a complete boat hook.