When does weed stop growing....

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
If large chunks of antifouling are flaking off it could mean that the paint layers have built up to excessive thickness. It might be time to scrape or at least heavily sand it back next time the boat is ashore.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I wonder if you have thoroughly burnished the surface after application has dried to activate the copper coat. I did not do it very well the first time and had the problem you mention.
I have abraded it so many times I have nearly rubbed through the darned stuff.
It is rubbish. The keel has been done 4 times, the hull twice- to no avail.

Mark-1

Visit site
If large chunks of antifouling are flaking off it could mean that the paint layers have built up to excessive thickness. It might be time to scrape or at least heavily sand it back next time the boat is ashore.

It could certainly do with sanding back - apart from anything else I did it really thick last time deliberately because I thought it would help it go two years. I'm no longer convinced that caking on more AF is a good strategy. I think it loses its 'abrading' properties before it wears off. I won't go crazy this winter but depending on how it looks when it comes out I will sand/scrape it a bit and prime it. (If it comes out looking mint it will be one extra coat and forget!)

I'm reckon the areas that have come right off are because I had areas with no AF at all last time and didn't bother with primer. I *think* the AF just didn't stuck nicely in those areas.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I have used a Scrubbis for the last five years with hard racing antifoul. I'm retired and do it about every two weeks in the season.
Have not re antifouled this season and still going well enough to overtake my mate using Coppercoat.
I have covered the Scrubbis with synthetic grass which works well for me. The other picture shows my see saw for the bottom of the keel etc. Still needs more testing with perhaps weights attached to make it sink better.

Warning : This kind of thing happens when you are retired .