What's the flaw in my plan?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Thank you for the further replies and encouragement, I have today let work know that I want to take a year off from 1st of June so watch this space...:D

Before you leave, consider how well the boat is prepared for hot weather, we were getting 36 degrees below decks last year and much equipment (solar etc) is cheaper in UK. Also, boats here >6 months have to comply with Portuguese regs. for safety equipment. List here - Safety Standards - Lagos Navigators

Star-Lord

Visit site
Regarding hot weather... If at anchor all summer you will be okay with open hatches. In the River Guadiana in summer a windscoop would be useful and a poly floating line to attach to rear cleats to make a U for your own dipping pool.

In the height of summer I did get stuck in Albuferia Marina for a couple of weeks with a fuel problem. Stinking hot! The hottest marina ever. Imho aircon for a marina liveaboard makes a lot of sense.

V1701

Visit site
Before you leave, consider how well the boat is prepared for hot weather, we were getting 36 degrees below decks last year and much equipment (solar etc) is cheaper in UK. Also, boats here >6 months have to comply with Portuguese regs. for safety equipment. List here - Safety Standards - Lagos Navigators

Absolutely, I used to have a boat in Greece & went in spring & autumn, too hot (and too busy) in summer. Do they really insist on EPIRB (I have a PLB?) and DSC radio? Do they come and inspect your boat when you sign up for a 12 month contract? On the boat in Greece I fashioned a bimini out of some garden netting and a couple of alu poles, it worked surprisingly well.

Depending on when I get there I might even stop at Porto the first year, priority really is getting the 5 year residency as soon as I can. Then when I've got it maybe go back up to the Spanish Rias for a bit...

Star-Lord

Visit site
Absolutely, I used to have a boat in Greece & went in spring & autumn, too hot (and too busy) in summer. Do they really insist on EPIRB (I have a PLB?) and DSC radio? Do they come and inspect your boat when you sign up for a 12 month contract? On the boat in Greece I fashioned a bimini out of some garden netting and a couple of alu poles, it worked surprisingly well.

Depending on when I get there I might even stop at Porto the first year, priority really is getting the 5 year residency as soon as I can. Then when I've got it maybe go back up to the Spanish Rias for a bit...

You will be inspected at anchor but usually they just want to see your paperwork and 'Lights Tax'.

Some things they do insist on if/when inspected at anchor (in Faro they are draconian) is if your liferaft in on show (not inside) they like to see hydro static release (and can send you back to port to get one) And they like to see a secondary anchor on show.

There are stories of being boarded on passage but imo that is not likely...you have to be very unlucky for that.

If you do stop at Porto - the marina in the Douro River suffers really bad swell in some conditions - like cleat ripping forces. It is terrible imo. Matosinhos offers good protection.

Spanish Rias are amazing! I spent two long summers there. Many Irish boats in that part of the world. Just perfect anchorages and anchor life. If it wasn't for Brexit (i do not wish to become resident anywhere) I would winter in Portugal and Summer in the Rias.

Povoa De Varzim could be visited on the way down. Its quite a nice spot. Windswept! But clean and fresh. Good facilities. Very friendly staff. The cheapest place to keep a yacht in Portugal. Like really cheap. If you are a smaller boat your berth is well protected. Larger boats 10m+ are not so well protected and I would then keep them on the hard if leaving them unattended.

Graham376

Visit site
You will be inspected at anchor but usually they just want to see your paperwork and 'Lights Tax'.
Some things they do insist on if/when inspected at anchor (in Faro they are draconian) is if your liferaft in on show (not inside) they like to see hydro static release (and can send you back to port to get one) And they like to see a secondary anchor on show.

It seems you must have upset someone. I've had a mooring at Faro (adjacent to PM launch) for 13 years now and have never been asked for anything but passport, SSR, insurance and light dues. Some, a tiny minority, have been asked for T2L. Equipment checks are very unusual and I have only known it happen a couple of times on scruffy "sea gypsy" boats.

Going back quite a few years, there were reported problems with foreign boats being stopped at sea by navy and police and demands for safety gear to be brought up to standard. After intervention by the RYA, it was agreed boats here <6 months do not have to meet their regulations.

GHA

Visit site

When was that? Sounds like many years ago.

Graham376

Visit site

For foreign boats it was mostly years ago. Before your time in the yard they impounded 24 boats for not having port of registry on transom. For locals, inspections are a regular event. We were stopped 2 days on the run in dive rib and all safety equipment and boat license checked. Checking fishing licenses and fining those without or, not wearing lj, is a good source of income.

Although Portuguese Gov. is doing everything it can to make life easy for visiting Brits after Brexit, local PM chiefs often get bees in their bonnets and next year may decide to pick on us to help meet targets. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

Star-Lord

Visit site
A TL2 is important but I was never asked for one but got one after meeting someone who was.

Lots of boats do as they please. Other boats comply with all necessary regulations regardless. You can choose to be whoever you want!

V1701

Visit site
This is so useful, thank you all. I thought for a minute I was going to have to shell out for a fancy canister liferaft, EPIRB and DSC radio (in the safety standards linked to above). I have both fixed & hand held VHF and a PLB and could do without splashing out for all this stuff just for an inspection that's probably never going to happen so I won't. How much is it & how do I pay the lights tax?

Star-Lord

Visit site
When I was in Portugal a couple of years ago 7 boats were done for not having a TL2. I believe a Swedish, Irish (cat) British etc etc they seemed to choose one from each country and I believe they 'raided' Lagos marina for these boats? And these boats were not allowed out till TL2 was produced. You are given 3 weeks I believe? I am quite certain this reported on this forum? Or Lagos Navigators?

It is well known Portugal sometimes demands a TL2 (and according to forums - so do Croatia - where I am headed). The chap I spoke too was based in Vilamoura and he had been held up from an Atlantic crossing for not having a TL2.

The thing is everyone who has been in Portugal and talked to people, or read these forums, should know by now what is expected of them regarding paperwork and kit. The Lagos Navigators site is also very useful. But peoples are looking to save money or don't have time or can't be bothered or just don't care about local, or logical, requirements. People know the TL2 can be asked for but do they get one? Some do and some do not. The TL2 may come in very useful in a year or two... if you are asked to prove your British yacht has had the VAT on it paid. The TL2 is the only acceptable document for this...even though it does not make sense to many of us. I met a woman selling super yachts in Portugal and I asked her about the TL2 and she laughed and said she always gets one for British clients - as part of the service - just in case. Did I read somewhere after Brexit/2020 they will not be issued any more? A very easy piece of paper to get. A lot easier to get than flares in Portugal!! Why on earth would you not get this nice bit of paper?

vette

Visit site
Thank you for the further replies and encouragement, I have today let work know that I want to take a year off from 1st of June so watch this space...:D

I envy you.
My boss would sack me if I wanted more than 3 weeks off.
Just getting 3 weeks off caused him to be quite sarcastic.

vette

Graham376

Visit site
Did I read somewhere after Brexit/2020 they will not be issued any more? A very easy piece of paper to get. A lot easier to get than flares in Portugal!! Why on earth would you not get this nice bit of paper?

As I understand it, a T2L is used to specify goods qualify to be in free movement within the EU. If/when we leave the customs union, UK goods won't have free movement status so, the bit of paper may become worthless..

greeny

Visit site
This where it all gets confusing and some of the information coming out is conflicting. We'll never know until when and if it happens, at the end of the year.
According to one train of thought, if your uk vat paid boat is in the EU on the day of our exit, then it will be deemed EU vat paid. (will it be UK vat paid as well?)
If it is in UK it will remain UK vat paid and not EU vat paid.
So if you are in Portugal or any other of the EU27, you will not need a T2L from UK. But you may need one from Portugal to go to another EU27 country. I suspect this may prove difficult.
The mind boggles at the endless permutations and possibilities.
I'm going for another beer - sod it.

P.S.
to the original poster. Ignore all the doom and gloom about brexit. Just get yourself down here and start enjoying the life. It's really not as bad as some people like to paint it. In fact it's wonderful.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Yes, I think I understand it has nothing to do with VAT but it is still asked for as proof of Vat paid? TL2 will always satisfy Portugal and Croatia authorities. There is nothing to stop Portugal or Croatia asking for proof of VAT paid after 2020? (and I'm sure they will ask some for this proof even after 2020). Or is it boats already abroad in Europe are OK? Honestly a bit of paper saying VAT is paid can never be worthless imho.

Other threads that may be of interest