Whats The Differance ???

kevinbrown2021

kevinbrown.vox.com
Some one please Help!!!

When I bought my boat CAREFREE I was told she was an OffShore Cruiser, I have since been told that its a river boat.

I found this SEAMASTER on Boats and Outboards, it says that the Seamaster is an Off Shore Cruiser.

They both have the same specifications, the only differances are Mine is Teak (double diagonal) planking, and 1.5 diesel and the sea master is GRP with a 2.2 diesel.

So my question is.

If I upgrade the engine, what would be the differance?? Why am I being told mine is a River boat, and the other is an Offshore Cruiser, To me they look the same!! the draught and beam are the same, but mine is a foot longer.

Kevin

DoubleVision

Visit site
IMHO This is a river or estuary cruiser,and a fine old lady at that. Engine size is immaterial as far as seaworthyness is concerned.

kevinbrown2021

kevinbrown.vox.com
[ QUOTE ]
IMHO This is a river or estuary cruiser,and a fine old lady at that. Engine size is immaterial as far as seaworthyness is concerned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks DoubleVision, but are you saying just mine is a river/estuary cruiser or both? I mean they are pretty much exactly the same in terms of spec. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DoubleVision

Visit site
I believe that both these vessels were designed for the waterway and river and estuary market. I would have thought that they should both be ok for coastal use providing all the right safety gear is present.

alb40

Visit site
Kev

Neither carefree or the seamaster are offshore boats. Both are designed to be river cruisers.

The name sea master is a little ironic really, seen as though most of their range are just river boats. Their literiture states 'The Seamaster 27 is an excellent river, estuary and inshore boat but was not designed for rough sea work or greater than force 5 to 6 winds'

Carefree is a river cruiser, although she does handle ok in the estuary at less then force 5 - 6. I would not go out in more than that. She's not a fast enough boat to make progress in any sort of windy conditions.

Sounds like whoever sold you it was a bit of a plonker by the sounds of things. Both boats would be rated as catagory C boats if they were to be built nowdays

Alex

muckypup

Visit site
On the flip side, people have taken narrow boats across the channel so it all comes down to conditions.

If the conditions are right there is nothing stopping you going out to sea and up the coast. Some boats can handle rougher conditions much better than other boats.

Just be sensible, check the weather very carefully and make sure you have all the required safety equipement aboard.

S.

Visit site
If you view both photos, then you can that the 'Seamaster' is higher around the cockpit this would tend to give more security in less than calm conditions, where as the 'Carefree' has very little freeboard, At least it seems that way from the photographs.
Mal

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
>>>
was not designed for rough sea work or greater than force 5 to 6 winds'

>>>
Nor am I.

I have accompanied a Seamaster 30 down to Rochester from London in decidely lumpy F5/6 over tide round from Shellhaven until getting into the Medway. I reckon the Seamaster was probably more comfortable to be aboard than my Fjord, even if we were down to 3 knots at one stage. Seamaster's biggest problem could have been a lack of self draining cockpit if that is the case.