What's the best sewing machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I also have a Singer 20u 43 - excellent straight and zig zag. Industrial machine so very fast, had to slow it down with a much smaller drive pulley. Made spray hood, cockpit canopy, Dodgers, new uv strip on Genoa etc etc. Often on eBay, the '43' refers to the size of zig-zag.

Lomax

Visit site
What's the best sewing machine?

This:

Pfaff 360.jpg

I have the virtually identical "362 Automatic", which adds some (pretty useless) embroidery stiches. It's a semi-industrial chain driven machine and it weighs a tonne; with the right needle and thread it will chew through a doubled up leather belt at full whack (please don't try this at home). Found mine in the local electronics recycling bin - mint condition in carry bag, complete with original pedal, manual, and "Thank You for Buying Pfaff" stickers still attached! The less fortunate can expect to pay up towards £200 for a good condition one. A thing of beauty and a joy forever!

Edit: They sure don't make 'em like this anymore...

Pfaff 262 mechanism.jpg

Pfaff 262 underside.jpg

Last edited:

chrishscorp

Visit site
Just having a scout round at the moment for a beast capable of doing zig zag and 5 or 6 layers of sailcloth as that is what stuffed the wifes last machine, i had it repaired for her which is why im still alive :rolleyes:

Upholstry, canvass work and sail work. I was told for sails it did need the zig zag function.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
An old Jones or Singer zigzag machine is robust enough and you can often pick one up for £20 or so.
Just having a scout round at the moment for a beast capable of doing zig zag and 5 or 6 layers of sailcloth as that is what stuffed the wifes last machine, i had it repaired for her which is why im still alive :rolleyes:

Upholstry, canvass work and sail work. I was told for sails it did need the zig zag function.

Visit site
I bought a 1950's Frister and Rossman on ebay for £30, the quality of the engineering is incredible. It has the original
instructions but I have never used a sewing machine, and don't know how to start using it :confused: how do you get lessons? My mother, gran, aunts etc always had one on the go, but the skill never got passed down..

Attachments

• IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
I bought a 1950's Frister and Rossman on ebay for £30, the quality of the engineering is incredible. It has the original
instructions but I have never used a sewing machine, and don't know how to start using it :confused: how do you get lessons? My mother, gran, aunts etc always had one on the go, but the skill never got passed down..

There's some pretty good step by step tutorials on Youtube.

Plum

Visit site

I have modified a few sails using two parallel rows of stitching and they are still good after many years. Zig zag gives you more stitches per seam length in just one pass which is why a professional would prefer that but in my experience zig zag is not essential. Anyway, most of the strength comes from the double sided tape used to assemble the sail before stitching, at least that is what a professional told me. Don't forget there are two types of zig zag, a single stitch left to right and one consisting of multiple stitches in each zig and zag.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Gunfleet

Visit site
Suspiciously cheap though even with the admitted faults.
the Singer 201ks are bullet proof and with a leather needle will sew very heavy cloth. The spares are available everywhere. If you wanted a machine for both domestic and sail/canvas work a Bernina 1008 will do it. You can buy an add on walking foot for either if you need it - essentially for slippery cloth (sailcloth).

ip485

Visit site
I use my trusty Sailrite.

If you are new to this sort of thing a Sailrite will handle most jobs BUT it still has limitations. They tell you it will go through thick material. It will, but of course it has limits. Dont expect it to go through multi layers of sail cloth at the corner of a sail. Also the distance between foot and mount is pretty standard so, if you are doing a very large construction, getting the cloth betweeen will get more challenging. My biggest project was the deck tent, which I would say is just on its limits of capability in terms of feeding that amount of cloth through. It is a great machine however for all those little projects and repairs.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I use my trusty Sailrite.

If you are new to this sort of thing a Sailrite will handle most jobs BUT it still has limitations. They tell you it will go through thick material. It will, but of course it has limits. Dont expect it to go through multi layers of sail cloth at the corner of a sail. Also the distance between foot and mount is pretty standard so, if you are doing a very large construction, getting the cloth betweeen will get more challenging. My biggest project was the deck tent, which I would say is just on its limits of capability in terms of feeding that amount of cloth through. It is a great machine however for all those little projects and repairs.

Excellent machine and the only struggle I had with my Sailrite was trying to feed my large sprayhood with two windows (one above the other) through. Replacing a window needs the new one fitting before cutting out the old and rolling window material plus fabric tight enough to feed under the arm without scratching was practically impossible so, in the end I paid someone with a long arm machine to do it. No problem with cockpit tent, sail cover, dodgers, dinghy chaps, webbing, etc. and a single window sprayhood would have been OK.

ip485

Visit site
Covers for the tubes to stop the damage caused by UV and abrasions. I made those. A surprising amount of work, but the Sailrite was up to the task!

Graham376 - I agree - it does just struggle where a long arm or flat bed would come in very useful. Organising the work really well is some help.

Gunfleet

Visit site
Covers for the tubes to stop the damage caused by UV and abrasions. I made those. A surprising amount of work, but the Sailrite was up to the task!
Thanks. Yours must get more sunshine than mine :-(
Abrasion I can understand - mine tore a piece of its rubbing strake against a jetty once and I can't imagine how it might be repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.